first aid kit

forest tink

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to make something up yourself. As Andy Mac said get at least 1 FFD or even better two. Also a CAT Tourniquet and a Celox type of dressing. Then get some training on how to use them! That's everything you need to stop a catastrophic bleed until the emergency service arrives. Things like plasters and aspirin can be kept in your vehicle med kit.

Go on eBay and get a first field dressing. Preferably the Israeli issue one. Then get a small pouch for it at a camping shop.

Or if you wear trousers with a side pocket keep it in there.

I used to keep mine in my thigh pocket. When I took it out to wash my trousers I found it wasn't vacuum sealed anymore. It'll still stop the bleed but if it got damp and bacteria started to grow probably not best putting it on a big cut

... had a stein one(Velcro and plastic ring on the back type) but it keeps falling off the belt and in short is a pain in the arse

Not had a problem with my bright orange Stein 1st aid kit. Just like your, except I added a small acceccory krab to the plastic ring. The velcro strap goes through a trouser belt loop and the popper clasped Then the krab is clipped to the next belt loop along; so the bag lies sideways. Never had it detach and it's still accessible if needed.

Concur with all the comments regarding military style field dressings, so much better than the tat you get in shop bought FA kits; try SP Services, they've a really good stock list

I must admit I think the idea of carrying a FA kit in a position on ones harness that's virtually out of reach when you've had a serious accident is barmy; in the past, when I used to wear braces instead of a belt, I slipped the FA kit through the brace so it was always to hand. Also concur with the thigh pocket suggestion.

Cannot understand why you would fret about having a kit on your belt.

First thing is get down, once there use a kit made up yourself

from a chemist.

Much cheaper and geared to tree surgery ie more bandages.

Because if you get a big bleed ie saw bite you won't have time to get down! Immediate first aid is exactly that...preserve life.

Chemists primarily sell first aid kits to treat small cuts and bruises, headaches etc. The sort of injury that your personal kit should be able to deal with is a catastrophic injury (ie life threatening). If its not then get down and use the one in the vehicle.