More zigzag issues...

martwizz

http://www.petzl.com/files/all/all/communication-zigzag/ZIGZAG-information-080414-EN.pdf

"The facts:

Two different customers have informed us of the

presence of a crack on one of the ZIGZAG’s steel

chain links. Both units have been returned to petzl

for analysis"

Click the link for the full info.

Great to see that the appropriate steps have been taken. Not great to hear that there are more issues even after a recall!

With nature of equipment faults will occur just not so good when your life depends on it. Having read the report I will continue using it as is and I give it a quick visual inspection before every climb anyway. I'd be more worried if the failure was catastrophic like the first version.

A cracked link presents no additional risk to the user. However, the presence of such a crack requires

immediate retirement of the ZIGZAG.

Really :sneaky2:

So basically dont worry if it breaks in half because it will probably maybe still hold together while your suspended above the ground in a perils situation

Ok I made that link work, was the silly tablet machine... Interesting take on things though, 'Yes, these zigzags appear to have cracked under normal usage. No, there's nothing to worry about with your zigzag' I guess they're desperately hoping not to have to recall all these models too...

I've never been convinced that a piece of chain could make a particularly robust tree climbing tool...

This tree climbing lark is just getting too damn dangerous. Let's all go back to the closed systems of twenty years ago with one single rope, tying a Prussic with the tail. Oh and with screw gate crabs.

Two mechanical aids crack and everyone wants to start bashing the manufacturer. The assumption is that the link failed under 'normal ' use, can anyone verify that?

Every item of climbing equipment can become unfit for purpose after (or even during ) a single use. Can't we just leave it at that , petzl have acted responsibly and appear to be carrying out a vigorous inspection and audit of the manufacturing process.