Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Insurance Forum Discuss all insurance issues relating to arboriculture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-17   #1 (permalink)
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: South Wales
Posts: 65
advice needed

Hi Everyone,
I normally work from home (I'm a carver) but I have to do one big commission after Easter, may be 3 weeks on site, the area is off limits, no access to staff or public. Will be chainsaw carving a large old sycamore (4 or 5 feet diameter stem, branches have been lopped back to about 10m height by the tree surgeon. Depending on the clients final design I may or may not be working at height. I do not carry any form of insurance at the moment, but presumably it would be a good idea for this job? Any idea on what I would need, who to go to, and how much I am likely to have to pay?
stuckinthemud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 495
Re: advice needed

well, if something does go wrong, you'll not be covered, so i would take out a policy. I don't know what chainsaw carving falls under in terms of associated risk, I've found the guys at arborisk to be the most helpful with that kind of stuff.

How would you normally go about working at height when carving ? a platform of some sort? For personal insurance i use a company called income assured, again, who seem pretty reasonable. for 20 quid a month i'm covered for 250 a week, which will keep bills paid...

hope this helps !
Maxnaggle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2014
kevinjohnsonmbe's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,411
Re: advice needed

What is it you're thinking of insuring against?

If there's no access for anyone else and no property to damage if a lump falls off whilst carving, I can't see what PL might provide.

If you're on your own, no need for EL.

Not even sure if PI would run to covering a carved structure?

Is it loss of earning if injured?

Sounds like a helluva project though! Are you allowed to share pics on completion?
kevinjohnsonmbe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2014
billpierce's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 813
Re: advice needed

Join and artist union, they offer p.l for sculptures up to 10m of height, about 30/40 quid a year. So cheap it's worth doing I reckon, I think aue was what I used. No good for arbwork though

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app
billpierce is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed please. samarb Chainsaws 18 15-01-14 05:55 PM
advice needed onefingerpress General chat 21 08-01-13 07:23 PM
advice needed wren100 General chat 2 22-03-12 07:41 PM
Advice Needed Able Fella General chat 1 12-03-11 09:08 PM
Advice needed! grizzly7 General chat 2 13-12-09 06:44 PM

Find tree care advice

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0