Down.....

PC tree

Getting a bit annoyed with pricing for specific work, then losing it to other people that don't price like for like, do lesser quality work at a cheaper rate leaving me scratching my head. What a waste of effort, I wish I could pull up and top a few trees fell a few others and bugger off but I just can't. I also can't live on nowt either.... Grrrr!

Sorry guys rant over..

This is a key part of any sale: Qualification. That is; know exactly what your client wants, and make sure they know exactly what you are going to do. You get a feel for it and need to ask the right questions to do it properly.

If you don't qualify your client properly then you are laying yourself open to having someone else take the job. Its all very well doing a great job and lots of extras, but is that what motivates your client? or is it the money? if you don't qualify them properly you'll never know. If all they want is a cheap job then give them that, explain that you won't do this or that for the money and you can then compete on a level playing field.

This is a key part of any sale: Qualification. That is; know exactly what your client wants, and make sure they know exactly what you are going to do. You get a feel for it and need to ask the right questions to do it properly.

If you don't qualify your client properly then you are laying yourself open to having someone else take the job. Its all very well doing a great job and lots of extras, but is that what motivates your client? or is it the money? if you don't qualify them properly you'll never know. If all they want is a cheap job then give them that, explain that you won't do this or that for the money and you can then compete on a level playing field.

Crystal ball springs to mind.

Quoting for jobs is the same as being a sales man. You need to ask the right questions to get the answers too decide a price. If the customer wants a perfect hedge, then you price for a perfect hedge, not just running over it with the hedges. Likewise if they want the tree reduced but have limited funds, then price to do a quicker but job.

It's great to have standards, but if the client won't pay for it......... Then you can't do it. Saying that, never leave a bad job as trees are your advertising board. You need to learn what clients to spend the time with, and who too just give the quote too.

J:thumbup1:

Good advice 'springs to mind!'

:001_smile:

PC . We just recently quoted to clear up a fallen eucalyptus in a garden . The chap declined our quote saying a bit too much , I will get my gardener to do it ........A week later the gardener had cut all the brash off and piled it every which way in a tangled mess . One or two cuts in the trunk with a poorly sharpened Band Q special and abandoned . Can we come and sort it out ! . Yes of course ... Same price as we quoted but harder work because of the tangled mess but hey ho ...We then got other work from it . Stick to your guns but be sure you quote for exactly what the customer wants not what you would do if it were your own problem in your own house .