Milk it

Rich2484

So went to supermarket today and they are blockading them with tractors, also I've seen them doing it at wiseman dairies.

I agree that the price payed needs to be kept up as they have to make a living.

Right or wrong? If anyone even cares. Discuss :thumbup:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must admit seeing this on the news raises my hackles - why can't all milk go up 7p a pint with this 7p going to farmers? :sneaky2:

We could all afford this yet we will lose milk production in this country otherwise.... and I can imagine it's not something you can just do i.e. by a farm and away you go.

If there is someone to blame it's the supermarkets - I have yet to see a 'fairtrade' pint of milk on the shelf for our farmers - if they had it and it was 20p a pint more I'd buy it.

:001_smile:

But if the milk costs more to produce than what they are getting paid no amount of subsidies from gov would help.

Same as if the fuel and oil used in saws costs more than a job is worth. We wouldn't be going for very long.

I don't think there are many/any price supports - I think it is a simple case of it costs the farmers 30p per litre to produce and they get paid from the dairy 27p. I don't think diary farmers get subsidies do they? :confused1:

The farmers can't just put their price up or the diaries would not buy any of their milk so I can see their position - they'll go out of business either way.

They just want a fair price for their milk - I'm happy to pay it - what is a few pence on a pint?

I don't think there are many/any price supports - I think it is a simple case of it costs the farmers 30p per litre to produce and they get paid from the dairy 27p. I don't think diary farmers get subsidies do they? :confused1:

The farmers can't just put their price up or the diaries would not buy any of their milk so I can see their position - they'll go out of business either way.

They just want a fair price for their milk - I'm happy to pay it - what is a few pence on a pint?

All farmers in this country receive price supports for producing crops and also for not producing crops. Same for the dairy industry. It is claimed by the government over here that subsidies help stabilized the cost of producing the

Grain or fruit or milk or anything else. This savings is than passed on to the

consumer, Translation, price supports and subsidies for all of these goods have never and will never provide an actual fair market price. If the government started to roll back and in time phase out subsidies the market would balance it's self and prices would reflect actual cost of production. As long as the government maintains this control over the laws of supply and demand the results will remain the same:thumbdown:

easy-lift guy

Same as arbs driving big cars and nice new machines and tractors saying there no money in it. I know what your saying but not that interested in who makes what, just the fair price part.

The co op started fair trade sruff for cocoa beans, and coffee, so why can't they for milk?

Same as arbs driving big cars and nice new machines and tractors saying there no money in it. I know what your saying but not that interested in who makes what, just the fair price part.

The co op started fair trade sruff for cocoa beans, and coffee, so why can't they for milk?

:confused1::confused1:

Surely that makes no sense?????????

The only people earning a reasonable profit out of milk are the supermarkets,the very people who have control over the price,no surprises there then!

People can slate the farmers as they do,but the fact is they are loosing money in the milk game.