Turkey Oak health advice

mugelbbub

Question

Hi,

I am hoping someone can ease my concern or point me in the right direction regarding the health of a Tree.

We have, what I am led to believe is, a Turkey Oak in our rear garden (is subject to a TPO). It is Mature multi stemmed (8 stems) 13m high tree with a 7m radius canopy.

I have not taken great interest in tree's (but for admiration) before and know little about them.

We have lived at the property only since April 2014 and that year the tree appeared fine. During 2015 however, the tree started to shed its leaves in June and continued to do so through to autumn. Its branches seemed to wilt (hang down) and it also shed twigs. During the latter part of that summer it developed fruit but these only grew to less than pea size, dark brown/black and fell off in clusters whereas trees next door (not sure which Oak type) bore full acorns.

This year there is new growth but also a lot of dry branch/twigs (up to 1/2" dia) loss with a bit of wind.

Is the above 'normal' or does it warrant concern?

I have photo's of Tree, Leaves, Fruit, Twigs etc if helpful.

Really interested if I need to be concerned and what next step might be.

Thank You

Hi, would it be possible to post the best quality pictures you have showing the leaves, fruit, twigs and overall photo of the tree.

I noticed you mentioned you moved in April 2014 however it has deteriorated since your arrival which leads me to the question have you done any development work around the tree root system? A new patio perhaps or extension? The trees rooting system stretches approximately 1.5-2.5 times the area of the crown.

Many thanks, Jake.

Hi Oak Stag

Thanks for replying.

No work at all. The Garden is exactly as we moved in. The RPA (based on the multi stems) is roughly calculated as 12m radius.

Photos

Tree in summer

Twig/leaf close up

Leaf loss over a couple of days in June 15

Fruit as shed (hundreds of these)

Twigs shed last windy spell 2016

Tree in winter

There are more photos if more insight needed.

Thank You

IMG_3423.jpg.f838ccb4a6b415a4683328c702ff9196.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg.dcc834cb5ccc1ba3841648eaeac9db55.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg.ac88769c0a1599decd9a803cb7188ef6.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg.c986732bf02fd231dcc92369129ae832.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg.912585137a6088a2b5a8cd72e335666e.jpg

597670e6a95e5_TurkeyOakWinter.jpg.78004b0e2348c3aa83f087acbe8177c8.jpg

Ok, I'll throw a few things in there.

It has been reduced before, I'd estimate 5 to 7 years ago, when the regrowth starts there can be dozens of small shoots, over time 90% of these are crowded over and only one or two become dominant, the rest die off and wait to fall after a number of years, it looks to me as if those make up the most part of those twigs, so no loss there.

The other issues I can't comment on with too much authority I'm afraid.

Did the tree completely defoliate or just drop some leaves?

The foliage you have shown looks healthy and the quantity of twigs shown would not be unusual in my opinion. The fruit like objects are oak apples produced by the lava of certain Cynipid wasps and are nothing to worry about either.

https://livingwithinsects.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/living-with-turkey-oak/

Unless the tree is looking completely bare during the summer I wouldn't worry.

Edited by Alinicoll

Thanks to you both Mick and Alinicol,

Yes the last two reductions appear (from TPO approvals) to be beginning of 2013 and end of 2004.

Regarding the Cynipid wasps, since there are English oaks in adjacent gardens are these still of no concern?

Thanks again for the peace of mind.

Regards

I agree with Alinicoll, the trees biological condition appears to be healthy and a good amount of regrowth has occurred since the last reduction. The reason for the large loss of leaves in June 2015 is most likely caused from what mick dempsey said as the foliage on the tree budded the majority of the new twigs became shaded out and died. and fell of the tree due to environmental conditions. (change in weather, windy day)

The only concern from the above photographs would be the unions at the base of the tree however remedial actions have already occurred in the form of reductions. To reduce the risk of failure. (For more information research included bark unions.)

As to the cynipid wasps they are a common occurrence on oak trees and no cause for concern.

From the website link I've been able to identify the gall (previously couldn't find anything that looked similar) and have already seen the said wasp in the garden last weekend so have some clarity thanks again to you all for your assistance.