White mould on milled Beech?

jamesd

could be moisture build up on the timber. how have you stacked it? did you brush off all excess sawdust before stacking?

yup stacked and stickered might be a little bit of sawdust left on it but i would not have thought the tiny amount left on it would affect it. (I brushed the worst of before stacking)

my very first purchase of green timber was sycamore squares when i first started turning skittles and i had the same problem with a white fuzzy mould growing over most surfaces.

i bought a large bottle of dettol and sprayed the lot on and off for the next couple of days, not sure if it's the best thing to do but it worked.

Surley if its beech just let the mould grow as ,I am sure thats what causes it to spalt , and spalted beech is much cooler , to look at well thats what I think , other people may want just plain boards , but If I have mould on beech I tend to just leave it never had any probs , but make sure you have a bloody good dust mask on when first sanding it , I have an airshield pro best 200quid ever spent well almost

Cheers Mark

i can't do that as i am turning skittles and spalted timber is really light and weak compared to clean timber. i need beech and sycamore that is solid and reliable.

i turned one set a few weeks ago and they were spalted as it was the last i had of beech that's dry so i turned it.

as you can see, they are not the most spalted timber but spalted they are and they have failed with large chips being knocked off the ends...

5976705ab8c67_ChrisBatchelor.jpg.1dafae056a346803e818d9d965014464.jpg