Straighten leaning pear tree and what else?

spandit

Question

This pear tree has, until recently, been crowded by a row of leylandii which were no match for my digger :D

(before: 2F4B9CD3-E5C1-4B22-B71D-30DC4FDE34FF.jpg

)

It was leaning quite heavily, partly due to the encroaching conifers and partly because of the prevailing wind. It's obviously stressed looking at the cracks up the trunk but it does fruit and I don't want to lose it

20170303_152313.jpg

I pushed a stake in (how fun is that with a digger!?) and have propped it a little with the ratchet strap I had at hand. The soil is pretty soft and I think yanking the leylandii out may have disturbed things even more.

Is it a case of gradually increasing pressure on the strap or should I try a different approach?

6 answers to this question

This is appears to be a tree that has grown with a lean. If so; it is a leaning tree, this is natural. It will have compensated by adjusting it's root system to support the lean. Now it's canopy is clear of the trees, this will adjust.

If you try to get it vertical, you could damage the root system. Visualise the root system as a plate for this explanation. If you bring the tree to vertical you will break/stretch the roots in the plate.

You could reduce the weight of the canopy by thinning and you could put a stake to the rear of tree to hold it in it's current lean. It is a leaning tree, you should only be concerned in my view it the lean increases. Take a picture to compare the lean and look for any soil movement or cracks that indicate the root plate is moving.

Go into a woodland and see the leaning trees in there.

It was quite loose in the ground after I'd moved the leylandii. I will support it but not try to pull it up any more. It could have fallen over quite easily

Like you say, support it as you have done although maybe think about loosening it off a little if you have cranked it up. Also, stomp down any lifted soil so that it's firm around the roots. Give it a water and spread some good woodchip mulch 100mm depth to 2m from base. Remove the artificial support in two years.

Fruit pears are deliberately planted at angles up to 45° to improve cropping. Its a sap flow thing.

But if its going to irritate . dig a big rootball out 70-100cm diameter and realigne it.

Happens all the time in landscaping and nursery trade. The fruit orchards prune roots by digging a circle as part of revitalising.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Arbtalk mobile app