Previously trimmed silver birch

nh206

Question

Hi, I have a silver birch tree in my front garden and was hoping that I might be able to get some advice on the best way to get it pruned. The main reason for pruning is that when it is in leaf it engulfs the nearby streetlight. It also does take quite a lot of light from the front of the house when in leaf.

I am keen to take advice on the best way to trim in a manner sensitive to the tree whilst achieving these objectives. It has clearly been previously pruned before I bought the house and as such has lost the typical shape of a silver birch, is there any way to get this back?

If you could advise what I should ask for when I get a quote and also when would be the best time to conduct the works. After a little research, I understand now is not the right time as the sap is rising.

Many thanks, Nick

IMG_4024.jpg.6276c8aee4a88561183fd1d397d2f68a.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg.ad471e597a1d51f064e2044de81e6a0b.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg.e2083788c8b0e2ca1798434983350cf9.jpg

6 answers to this question

Good advice from Mick.

You'll find lots of conflicting info about best time to prune but I've done them most times through the year with no ill effects. Early to mid winter probably best if you're worried about it bleeding.

A considered crown reduction could achieve all the things you're after and would make a decent looking tree once it's in leaf but as it's been said before, it will always look a bit 'hacked about' when the leafs are off because of how it's been treated in the past.

Sent from my F5121 using Arbtalk mobile app

Albeit with the primary purpose of illuminating the public highway, but if you wanted to benefit from the street light for your property perhaps some selective crown lifting, i.e. involving removal of lower branches (but ideally not primary ones, those emanating form the main stem / trunk), might be appropriate.

The tree has been previously 'topped' and hence the dense regrowth encountered which could be thinned to allow more light to penetrate the crown. Thereafter a 'trim to shape' n jobs'a'gud'un...appen.

Timing wise, ideally leave til early summer../but not critical.

Cheers,

Paul