Tree Survey advice (commercial site)

shaun342

Question

Hi folks!

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place - am just looking for some advice about tree surveys.

I work in a newly appointed role and have been asked to have the trees on site surveyed for safety reasons. Now I've been asked to get some quotes, but I can't see as that's really possible is it unless the work is actually undertaken? Or is it a case of supplying as much info as possible about what's on site to get a ball park figure? And also what should I be looking for in a company to approach for the work? (I'm in Northamptonshire if that helps and anyone can recommend).

There are various trees on the premises (which covers between 30 and 40 acres), some are mature, others are very young, and there's a broad mixture of species.

Also what would qualify as a tree to be surveyed? Or is that down to the client? Say for example, yew - where is the line drawn between it being a large shrub/hedge and a tree :confused1:

Thanks in advance!

5 answers to this question

There is a lack of advice on this question at the Arb Association, so here's the basics as I see it.

The person you appoint should be qualified, and I would suggest minimum of Professional Tree Inspection and AA Tech.

Insurance is a fundamental - at least £1M professional indemnity. Ask to see proof of it. It's not too cheeky to see a sample report.

What you're needing is a tree risk assessment. That's not the same as the often-mentioned VTA (Visual Tree Assessment) methodology, which only covers about a third of the risk assessment process.

I was going to go on and list all the other things you should be looking for, but it'll take too long. If you send me a private message through Arbtalk I will provide you with a consultant specification you can adapt. I'm not looking to get the job (I'm in Scotland) but I would be happy to help you make sure you get what you need form the survey and consultant. Asking for quotes for a 'tree survey' is like asking for quotes for, say, a car. If you don't specify how many wheels the car has to have, you'll get a Reliant Robin.

Hi Shaun.

There are a few different types of surveys available which is where the client input comes into it.

A tree stock survey would be a survey of all trees on site with a management option (if required) which is your most expensive survey. This is because all trees are tagged and recorded and allows you to build up a history of the tree. Any work is recorded against the tree number and you can see how much money is spent on that tree over the years or what work has been done and when.

Another option would be a hazard assessment which is cheaper but will only detail and record hazards present in specific trees. You will not build a history of your tree stock or have an inventory of trees on your site.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

There is a lack of advice on this question at the Arb Association.

Certainly in so far as specific advice being listed on the website but people / members can always give us a call.

There is some general guidance here Arboricultural Association - Help & Advice and more specific information for landowners is published by the FC / National Tree Safety Group see The National Tree Safety Group (NTSG) is composed of a number of organisations with an interest in tree risk management

Regards,

Paul