Laurels dying,

Alycidon

Question

Evening all,

This spring I planted 50 Laurels, these were about 2 feet high in 4 different woods I look after.

In three of the woods with sandy soil I lost an odd one but most are growing on nicely.

In one wood I have a problem. About an acre is size its on a steep hill which is a knob of heavy clay, it was planted with Ash, Beech, oak and a few birch, 50 or so Kent Cobnuts at the lower edge, surrounded by a quickthorn hedge that was laid 2 years ago. Wood has been planted about 30 years.

I had planted laurels in there some 5 years ago, those right on top of the hill grew well but most of the rest just died immediately. The ones that grew were in heavy soil but had better light.

Having laid the previously planted laurels to improve ground cover I planted another 25 further down the bank, generally on the edge of the trees and the Cobnuts. Trees are 25 - 30 feet or so tall, and around 8 yards apart, canopy is reasonably open. These were watered in well and then left to their own devices. I visited in June, all were well, went again this week and only found one alive of the 12 I checked. No sign of any damage, leaves had gone brown and withered away.

Is this a soil and or light issue ?, the soil being clay will hold water so I doubt its a water issue, if it was those in the other woods planted at the same time in sandy soil would have died faster. In fairness they are under far taller trees but have competition with elders. While there are badgers present they have not damaged the plants which were surrounded by rabbit guards, no deer much and no sign of browsing.

Any thoughts ?, suspect its a light issue.

Thanks

A

The quick answer would be to cut your losses and plant something else. If the conditions are killing laurel, it is difficult to see what else could survive, though you do mention elder competition. This has an allelopathic effect on other plants.

For game, then other species tolerant of shade are Physocarpus and Spirea. These have berries, but are deciduous. For evergreen cover, then box and privet.

Edited by Beardie
Update

Were they bare root, or pot grown? You could try smaller ( pot grown ) plants. I've always found Laural to be reliable.

Bare root. suspect its a soil/light issue, probably the latter. Will try again in a few years once the Ash etc in there have got taller. They do grow OK under 50 year planted trees or right on the edge of younger woods.

A

I'd definitely use small container grown plants: established woodland can be a harsh environment.

Container grown is the way to go, lifting root balls when they are still awake is suicide, mild winters the past few years and they still lift before any frost or dormant weather .

Evening all,

This spring I planted 50 Laurels, these were about 2 feet high in 4 different woods I look after.

In three of the woods with sandy soil I lost an odd one but most are growing on nicely.

In one wood I have a problem. About an acre is size its on a steep hill which is a knob of heavy clay, it was planted with Ash, Beech, oak and a few birch, 50 or so Kent Cobnuts at the lower edge, surrounded by a quickthorn hedge that was laid 2 years ago. Wood has been planted about 30 years.

I had planted laurels in there some 5 years ago, those right on top of the hill grew well but most of the rest just died immediately. The ones that grew were in heavy soil but had better light.

Having laid the previously planted laurels to improve ground cover I planted another 25 further down the bank, generally on the edge of the trees and the Cobnuts. Trees are 25 - 30 feet or so tall, and around 8 yards apart, canopy is reasonably open. These were watered in well and then left to their own devices. I visited in June, all were well, went again this week and only found one alive of the 12 I checked. No sign of any damage, leaves had gone brown and withered away.

Is this a soil and or light issue ?, the soil being clay will hold water so I doubt its a water issue, if it was those in the other woods planted at the same time in sandy soil would have died faster. In fairness they are under far taller trees but have competition with elders. While there are badgers present they have not damaged the plants which were surrounded by rabbit guards, no deer much and no sign of browsing.

Any thoughts ?, suspect its a light issue.

Thanks

A

To wet for laurels by the sound of it, there a Mediterranean plant so don't like clay / cold / wet. They will do well on the sandy stuff but laurels and clay don't generally mix to well. Very easy to overwater them, this will make the leaves go brown and lead to failure fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk