Fungus on protected trees - are they sick?

Berryboo21

Question

Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read my post (I am sorry it's quite long!).

We have found various fungi on a few of our trees that have tpo's and I wondering if anyone can help identify them please?

All of the trees are in our garden, close to other trees (also on TPOs) and in close proximity to our house or to a road.

The first pictures are of a bracket fungus on an English Oak. This seems to have changed colour over the last month or so.

30c0840118c38db729ead814cbe67ac0.jpg

f4715b67a88f65c8c05237f80c82ead9.jpg

b5abcc108a59523fddd592427a4433ee.jpg

It is the tree in the middle above the white car...

e3e155310439d8323f2ff0f535ef381c.jpg

The next is a fungus found on a large Sweet Chestnut. The fungus is below the old tree house on the trunk; below the point where the tree splits into two.

a822bf3e8be77e82537bb79eae0a8d38.jpg

be15cad3addb3f6bce4ffc591a4bdead.jpg

Next we have found these on the pavement near some out buildings, behind two other English Oaks and the Sweet Chestnut (tree house) we think they may be on some roots but cannot be sure. They first appeared in August and have also changed colour over the last few months.

1abcf71a54999dcfc61a9ce406d10a50.jpg

3afbb1920bb55c0183ec5fcdb60f91e4.jpg

b22519a66350779b1c2df9bf5013d6a6.jpg

Finally at the other end of the garden (over 50m away) a Beech tree "sprouted" the yellow fungus last week. Photos are from last week and yesterday. The tree sides onto a road and again is close to other Beech, Oak and Ash trees, all with TPOs.

166f34856c4f1a4b2455799ca3181981.jpg

fdadc027cbaed74aa7e1ebb057ffc659.jpg

3ea8ee0f40d9040d5b37be5e050af0db.jpg

a394f0edb00227e70ae980bd7373ddf2.jpg

8cccc820683ff9be57973f1a75cefc4a.jpg

I would appreciate any ideas, comments and advice. Obviously I am worried about the health of the trees and hope that I shouldn't be panicking, I really would hate to lose any.

Is the best option to have a tree survey completed for all the trees in the garden? We have 28 trees on TPOs so any ideas about costings would be appreciated too.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

5 answers to this question

Hello

Your examples appear to be Laetiporus sulphureus (chicken of the woods) Fistulina hepatica (beefsteak) one of the Ganoderma species, possibly Ganoderma applanatum and one of the Pholiota species' possibly Pholiota aurivella.

All these species have the ability to degrade wood to some degree, from being parasitic through to being saprophytic.

I would suggest a full site survey of your trees by an Arboriculturist to provide advice on your group of trees as a whole.

Edited by David Humphries

Thanks for you reply David - it's appreciated and I will get an arboriculturist to carry out a tree survey, especially as the beech is so close to a road and I want to make sure it is safe. A tree surgeon we had visit, when the bracket first appeared, has mentioned Ganoderma resinaceum and I was wondering if the first three were all types of Ganoderma so thank you for your guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

First 3 pics L. Sulphureus yes but what were you thinking on the Sweet chestnut and the paving David?

The union on the twin branch going towards the road may need a closer looking at

Fruiting bodies on Image 6 I believe to be Fistulina (possibly Confistulina hepatica) on the sweet chestnut.

Images 7-9 I believe to be from the Ganoderma complex.

Without flesh images I couldn't say for sure which of applanatum or australe it is.

Certainly, image 6 is Fistulina hepatica (or, as David says, the anamorph Confistulina). On oak it is a largely benign fungus, though on sweet chestnut I don't know whether the decay is similarly benign or not, though I expect it is. At the very least, the rate of decay caused by the fungus is slow.

Important to stress a certified arboriculturalist is a far better option for carrying out a proper private tree survey, or at the very least a highly reputable arborist with a good working knowledge of common polypores and other wood-decay fungi.