Golden Robinia care help!

gambitrl7

Question

Hi all!

After recently moving into my new place I have been informed that the Golden Robinia in my garden could be problematic.

It's a healthy beautiful looking tree about 25 ft tall but is only about 8 foot from house foundations and only about 6 ft from drainage.

I have been told suckering is possible and the root systems can be a real problem.

My question is, will I have to lose the tree or will some form of maintenance such as topping the tree be appropriate and acceptable? Will topping the tree inhibit root growth and how often will I have to do this? Just after best advice really.

Any info or advice gratefully received!

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

IME R. Frisia suckers far less than the ordinary R. pseudoacacia and I'm not aware of it being a particular problem.

Tree roots are entirely opportunistic and if they encounter an area of soil with favorable growth conditions, including moisture from leaking drains etc., they will exploit it and often drain incursion, of an exiting defect, occurs.

There is some evidence to indicate regular 'hard' pruning can be effective in reducing the impact of tree root systems but its not conclusive and essentially involves the tree being managed as a pollard...this may be viable / appropriate in your garden.

Regards..

Paul

In terms of the tree affecting the foundations - this will only be an issue if your house is on a shrinkable clay soil and the foundations are inadequate to resist changes in soil level/volume beneath them.

In terms of the tree affecting the drainage system - sometimes if trees are very close to pipes they can cause direct damage by lifting or displacing the pipe as the grow. The most common type of damage is usually blockages of pipes where the roots have grown into a fracture or gap in the pipe and taken advantage of the water in and around it. This is more an issue of the pipes being defective rather than the tree causing the damage.

If you like the tree and want to keep it, I suggest you look into what the soil type is. You could also have a drain survey carried out.

Robinia tend not to respond well to pruning. They produce a lot of spikey, fast growing shoots (epicormic growth) which you don't really want. The best thing would be not to prune it at all.

If you decide to remove the tree it is important to poison it, otherwise it will produce suckers from the roots.

Hi guys,

Thanks for info.

I guess I should be sure it is a Golden Robinia! I was advised it was but always good to check with other knowledgable people!

I've attached four pics of the tree to highlight size, leaves, and proximity to drain and house...

Thoughts on best course of action?

14330110_10154431854482394_8004696625611747856_n.jpg.cfbf7315b8b27571160192fe9b6e0f3b.jpg

14358627_10154431854252394_4256702634286398095_n.jpg.2fb7e4754ef8961ca45ac0fd17380fba.jpg

14368774_10154431854387394_8874750234036300257_n.jpg.180465a876045039733f7b79ec0a7d52.jpg

14370015_10154431854287394_8594036683174207359_n.jpg.c07a876d86d03458e88f0e3104e85870.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks for info.

I guess I should be sure it is a Golden Robinia! I was advised it was but always good to check with other knowledgable people!

I've attached four pics of the tree to highlight size, leaves, and proximity to drain and house...

Thoughts on best course of action?

First thing I'd do would be take a look in the inspection chamber/manhole. Checking for signs of root ingress. Looking at how the pathway has subsided next to the chamber I would think something is amiss.

Again, thanks for the advice all.

Had a look in the chamber and it looks clean and no sign of any plantlife ingress of any nature.

Coincidentally a tree guy has just dropped a card so may pay the £85 and get him to prune and top it.

Unsure on soil... apart from the high Radon content!. I'm in Wellingborough!! :001_tongue:

Coincidentally a tree guy has just dropped a card so may pay the £85 and get him to prune and top it.

'Tree guys' that drop cards are more often than not inadequately insured and unqualified (hopefully I've made that as PC as possible?) 😜

Please use a reputable arborist that is suitably qualified, insured and experienced.

The arboricultural association provide the following information regarding choosing an arborist:

http://www.trees.org.uk/Trees.org.uk/files/96/96989ec9-5842-4b6f-a728-b580fcf4317e.pdf