Quicksetting

Stick Dragger

Hi,

I've been laying hedges (Devon style) with various conservation bodies I have worked for over some years and also do projects in my own time. I'm slowly getting better but nowhere near the standard of some of the folk on here.

I want to gap up some hedges in East Devon and have been trying to find out about quicksetting as a means of restoring gappy hedges once laid.

I know you can do this with Willow obviously, but have read that quickset hedges were made with Hazel and Hawthorn. Does anyone know anything about this, how to prepare cuttings, time of year etc.

I know from experience that Privet layers very easily but would like to know if other species can be propagated like this?

Any advice gratefully received,

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks guys- yes this might well be what I end up doing. I can see that it's far less hassle to buy whips (esp with discount for large numbers).

I'd still like to learn what is possible with quicksetting as it could perhaps be useful for propagating locally rare species, Alder Buckthorn, Wayfaring Tree, Wild Pear etc, that are not so commercially available or for preserving local genetic integrity in a conservation context.

A lost craft perhaps,

Thanks,

Rob

Hazel does layer well, the technique being used for replacing missing stools in copses.

The advantage of layering is that the stem remains attached to the parent plant, providing water and nutrients whilst roots form. This supports it during the formation of new roots, which is particularly useful for species which root slowly.

I've done it with various things for propagation purposes rather than gapping up hedges and it's pretty straightforward. You select a stem which is flexible enough to bend down to the point you want the new plant to root, split and peg open, or gouge out an area at the point you want to bring in contact with the ground, then dig a shallow hole (a couple of inches) and peg securely down, the cover with the earth excavated from the hole and wait. If the stem is long enough you can repeat this at several points along its length.

Alec

buy some 90 to 120cm native hedge and plant give it 3 years and will be of a standard to lay with rest of hedge. gap gone. have a job to do same thing due to wet ground some plants have failed rest of hedge is 6ft tall so will plant with larger hedgeing plants leave then lay the lot. milltree farms winchester or murrey mcclean abingdon best places for native hedging and of a quality will not fail.

• 6 months later...