Mini Digger Tracks

Dave177

Had my little Hanix for about 6 months now and everything seems fine apart from the tracks, it seems to just keep slipping a track off when using it in the woods.

Any ideas what I should be checking/replacing as its starting to get a little more than annoying now!

Alternativly is it possible to convert it to metal tracks and if so any ideas of cost?

Cheers guys

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but:-

Are you tensioning it correctly?

Do you do turns on the spot with no forward or backward movement especially in loose ground?

Is the area full of small to medium sized rocks & if so do you clean the undercarriage out each day?

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but:-

Are you tensioning it correctly?

Do you do turns on the spot with no forward or backward movement especially in loose ground?

Is the area full of small to medium sized rocks & if so do you clean the undercarriage out each day?

Actually I'm open to expert advice :001_smile:what do you mean clean the undercarriage?

Tracks can snap but appear OK. They have steel cables running through the inside which break, allowing the track to stretch at that point. Lift the tracks off the ground and rotate them - you may notice that they have a slight kink, or grind in one place as they mesh with the sprocket. If you notice this mark the position and rotate the track so that the marked spot is held tight between the sprocket and idler. If you then release the tension on the tracks you can see the track rubber shrink at the point the steel is broken. If this is the case you need a new track - Digbits are very good and come with an 18 month warranty.

As said, could be worn sprockets, or track not tensioned properly/or keeping its tension.

If you buy new rubber tracks don't get the cheap unbranded Chinese rubbish, I did and ended up replacing them despite no wear on them, they were complete rubbish, kept coming off despite tensioning right plus the track had about the rigidity of a rubber band so any stone that got between the sprocket and the track would pop it right off.

Camoplast are good- available from digbits

Have a 60- 5 myself mate and need to take a section of pad and chain out as the Piston that pushes out the idler is at its limit hence why I can't tighten the tracks as tight as needed.. Check sprocket wear, chain wear and tension or is Smth knocking them off. In the woods is one foul place for track machines as is boggy ground.

It's going to happen even on a new digger. Just watch how you manoeuvre and listen to the tracks as you go.. I've managed to reverse a popped track back on cos I caught it in time. Most always peels off the idler end on mine so if I have to do a tight turn I drop the arm lift that end up and slew. But yeh check tension etc etc too.