stuff keep being stolen?

Albe013

hello everyone

i always keep an eye on the stolen equipment threads and must say it is very depressing and makes one very angry that some scrot can come along and simply help themselves to the stuff that you have spent years and a lot of money getting to help you in your profession

am included in this as i have had alot of machinery taken over the years and what i would like to do to them i cannot print here as it would be illegal and immoral

but as anyone woundered what would happen if this trend keeps going its alright saying the insurance company will pay out but evertime your insurance goes up at some point it will come that insurance will become inaffordable and thus people will be uninsured so when stuff is taken it will be up to the individual to replace unless you have the money to do so alot probably wont then what happens?

also the police commitment on this issue is exactly inspiring they rather give a crime number then thats it

this is a worrying trend and at some point it well have to be delt with

as too few times that people do get there stuff back it is good but these are to few and far between

i hope those who have had the misfortune of being robbed,

soon get sorted and are back at work

have a good christmas

albert

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trouble is that to the police who attend the crime scene:biggrin::biggrin: they give a crime number this is loged on there database. and thats it.

unless someone starts looking at the rising rate of thefts in the arb.landscape.amenity sector it will stay as a crime number. and will not tally with other crimes of a similar nature.

as for stuff being found BOB and no springs to mind. unless they catch them in the act even CCTV is not a lot of cop as unless they rknow the individual then chances of the police cross referencing on there photos is very slim.

to read every day of someone having been cleared out its very sad and a pain to have to get the insurance agree to replace the kit and be out of pocket by £500 as thats the norm for excess so a weeks work to earn that back. plus loss of work whilst trying to get it replaced. so a lot more money lost that insurance will not pay out.

on the brigth side have a good christmas all and hope santa brings that saw you allways wanted

I had my car stolen from the front of the house a few years ago and the police never even came out to see me. The sister in laws husband runs a groundwork company and he gave up insuring his small machinery like stone saws and whacker plates as it is now cheaper to replace them out of his own pocket with new ones. Not far from Town here Albert, you have a good Christmas too.

If this (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/18/police-crime-figures-manipulation-chief-inspector) is only part of it, then there is little hope of the present situation getting better. If plod give a crime number but then promptly closes the case, without any significant outcome. For their record keeping, it still looks from the outside gaze, that plod is doing a bang-up job. It makes it that much harder to identify individual crimes, that have actually been solved and the miscreants punished, from those that have merely been give a CN and swept under the rug.

Is it any wonder that insurance premiums rise every year. When the companies have good reason to believe, that theft & property damage crime, has all too little chance of being investigated properly, if at all.

I understand theirs is a touch job. But when dishonesty among their numbers becomes the an acceptable norm. What hope is there for Joe Public. Plod, like corporate bank managers, get paid a wage and then bonuses, regardless of actual performance. They like their supposed prey, have learned to our expense, that if you can get away with it, then crimes does pay; and pays well too.

Edited by TGB

Just to play devil's advocate here - Is there any evidence that these sort of thefts i.e. plant/tools etc are actually on the increase or are we just much more aware of them now?

The stolen equipment thread on here certainly makes depressing reading and makes me think very carefully about how I look after my kit, but surely a factor in this is that now with facilities like farmwatch and forums like Arbtalk etc we are all much more aware of other people's thefts. So it seems now from a personal point of view that they are increasing but five or ten years ago we'd of only heard about thefts from people we knew personally or a mate of a mate down the pub?

This will go on for as long as there are 3 factors present;

1) A group of people who view theft as a preferable option to honest work.

2) A supply of kit available to steal and a ready market to move it on.

3) Insufficient deterrents in place to make living by dishonest means a viable choice.

I don't pretend to know the answers but how to alter one or all of the above is definitely the question. :001_smile: