I'm told this tree is safe...

haforbes

Question

I contacted my landlords (HRH) local land steward about this tree because I'm a bit worried about it as a big limb has already come down and the rest doesn't look great but they have assured me that it's safe and isn't likely to come down any time soon, but I'm not sure they have any idea what they're talking about so I thought I'd ask on here. It wouldn't worry me so much if it wasn't for the fact I took all these photos from a public footpath that is well used during the summer months. What do you think?

DSCN0206.jpg.0f72687dda4923b0f7930f7975d2170c.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg.cdb978686dcd49f773cb9c490a4253ba.jpg

DSCN0202.jpg.6094fa696ebbaa702a743eeffb2c1dc4.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg.26e488cc0b2cac114ea6225032d2a328.jpg

DSCN0200.jpg.af66736be2e95d62514c16fbca1d74ea.jpg

Always difficult to tell from photos, but does look iffy. Are they in a position (qualified) to comment on its safety? Would make a nice habitat pole :thumbup:

It all depends on the target area? as a tree it is shot but great habitat , also even taking into account its very poor structural condition its now got very little sail. More info required regarding target area and the current land use, private or public access and the owner of the trees requirements, there is little point in getting involved with the issue unless it has relevance to your own safety or that of the general public. If it does have relevance to safety issues write to the owner of the tree and inform them of your concerns and reference there responsibility's under the " Occupiers liability Act " Hope that helps:thumbup1:

how many people in the UK are killed in a given year by a dead tree??? IIRC all instances of injury/death by dead trees are where the drivers of vehicles have lost control and left the road hitting them at speed, not by them falling and hitting anyone. I dont think even the HSE deem them dangerous in their statistics.

BUT Id fell it anyway, handy bit of wood there :thumbup:

Yes of course that would be my intention, i would never consider burning it up so little children couldnt fall off the pile and hurt themselves....ever. :001_rolleyes::001_smile:

That's even better, cause little children have been known to fall on to unguarded old fires & receive full thickness third-degree burns.

Habitat a go-go :thumbup:

Haha the sarcasm is ripping out of you 2!

As for the tree, It doesnt look in great nick thats for sure but will probably be fine if left alone. I would maybe be worried if the lean it has is over the path or other targets then i would at least half it to be sure. Still cant give a good idea with the pictures alone.... maybe get a local lad from here to have a look on the passing some day to give a second opinion.

That is a fine idea Andy, then you could create a habitat pile of horizontal dead wood which would suit a whole myriad of niche habitat species :thumbup1:

Why not go one further and bury it for an even more diverse niche habitat:thumbup1: