Trading standards & log nets

Cookie

Was chatting to a coal man I deal with today and he's been told trading standards are now pushing for log nets to be sold by weight i.e 10kg 25kg etc! A; anyone else heard this? B; how the hell will that work? Weigh a net when you fill it, it will be x weight then month later same net will be y weight! Looks like you would only be able to net them at point of sale?

I should have thought it more important to have a quality control rather than worry about weights. Some of the crap I have seen in nets is just embarrassing, and without regulation of some sort it will not improve. After all a firewood log is just that, regardless of type, seasoning moisture content and so on, so any old crap can be netted up without fear of Trading Standards.

No what you mean, went to a friends recently for dinner, while we were there he was keen to show off his new log burner & had picked up a net of softwood from a garage on his way home rather than wait for the load I was delivering next day. Honestly heaver than a lump of oak and wetter than an otters pocket! Certainly not fit for purpose!

Compost and such like in garden centres is often sold in bags that state "X Kg when filled" Or "X Ltr when filled", I'm sure suppliers of such will get the odd spot-check from TS to check whether or not that's actually true.

As long as there is the name and address of the producer on the product so it can be traced.

My local garden centre sells sealed plastic bags of 'kiln dried logs', £8.99 for 10 pieces of wet, mouldy softwood. The bags are printed with 'average moisture content 25%'.

That's 'average' not 'maximum'.

Anyone foolishly making a first purchase will surely not go back again? Yet they seem to sell plenty.

I'm sore tempted to go & talk to the manager about it.