machine security / trackers

Lazurus

I have recently fitted a tracker to my boat from Ninja Tacking Systems and thought it may be a cost effective security investment to all of you with high value machinery. I had no affiliation to the company in any way but it is simple and appears very effective. Having seen how much you guys invest in plant and machinery and the number of reported thefts anything that helps has to be a bonus. Below is a bit of blurb from the website, worth a look see.

Stuart

"The Ninja GPS tracker provides cutting edge tracking technology that interacts with your very own secure control panel allowing you to monitor and interact your tracker from anywhere in the world. You can view ‘live tracking’ at anytime from a smart phone, tablets such as the iPad as well as computers. Ninja tracking are revolutionising the world of GPS tracking with both commercial organisations and consumers using this low cost GPS tracker on an everyday basis.

With an array of functionality such as safety zones, unequalled battery life, amazing accuracy, world leading motion detection technology and of course the low cost at just £135.00 for the standard device, it makes the Ninja the professional tracker of choice"

Certainly looks interesting.

I will read in more detail when I have time but a couple of questions/things I would check out;

can it be powered by a local battery supply or just its own i.e. motorhomes, this would avoid any tracker charges.

How impervious to water and dirt is it i.e. could be good for off road motorcycles.

I can only speak for my boat, it can be wired into a seperate power supply, however I use rechargeable batteries as it is a short distance and not a problem to do so. Waterproofing is a simple as clingfilm, mine is situated in the outboard and has been fine. There are very minor charges for SMS top ups but it is so simple and easy to monitor and the initial outlay is very low compared to the cost of plant, boats cars etc.