Monteray pine mill or ring?

flatyre

There's not a huge amount of folk asking for Monty, so there might be trouble selling normal dimension timber, but if you can make something out of it or supply wide slabs, then go for it. It's hellishly sticky when freshly cut (especially now in the summer), it does settle down a bit, but you have to be careful if thinking of furniture.

It doesn't seem to go blue and gooey like Corsican/Austrian Nigra- I'm tinkering with some big sawn beams of it that I milled 10 or 11 years back, they've been outside and not well covered and it's still sound and happy.

do you mean monterey pine or monterey cypress?

Radiata Pine | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Softwoods)

Monterey Cypress | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Softwoods)

if it is a pine then it makes excellent joinery timber but if it is a cypress then also mill it as it makes excellent timber for outdoor use as it's very resistant to decay.

There's not a huge amount of folk asking for Monty, so there might be trouble selling normal dimension timber, but if you can make something out of it or supply wide slabs, then go for it. It's hellishly sticky when freshly cut (especially now in the summer), it does settle down a bit, but you have to be careful if thinking of furniture.

It doesn't seem to go blue and gooey like Corsican/Austrian Nigra- I'm tinkering with some big sawn beams of it that I milled 10 or 11 years back, they've been outside and not well covered and it's still sound and happy.

It seems to ooze resin each year no matter how dry! I milled a fair bit of it and couldn't do much with the timber.

It seems to ooze resin each year no matter how dry! I milled a fair bit of it and couldn't do much with the timber.

My first job was a placement in your neck of the woods with Wessex Tree Surgeons. In some places Monterey pine (and Maccy cypress) seemed to be the only tree :001_smile: I remember that there was something about the pines that gave weird results with an ultrasound decay detection gadget. Probably that sap.....

not sure if its a pine or cypress? The customer wants me to cut some rings about 18" high to use as garden chairs, so I was thinking about carving some crude ones, i'll need to use the wood from the monoliths as they have been dead for about five years though still feel very solid like they were only cut yesterday.

not sure if its a pine or cypress? The customer wants me to cut some rings about 18" high to use as garden chairs, so I was thinking about carving some crude ones, i'll need to use the wood from the monoliths as they have been dead for about five years though still feel very solid like they were only cut yesterday.

they sound like macrocarpa if they are still sound...

you'll know when you cut into it as it has a lovely smell.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been sanding up our old lumps of Monty Pine and giving them a couple of licks of Teak Oil. As Rob mentioned, the sap pockets are still oozing. It looks quite cheery and pleasant stuff....

I definitely milled it 11 years back, as we still had the old Mizer (the 'new' one is now 10 years old), so as a bit of timber it's done very well as it has mainly been neglected in a couple of yards without much cover over the timber.

P6011948.jpg.2ccc4484a9f43cc33b4112f8cb31874d.jpg

P6011949.jpg.672828177e1eae4c3c3bfc45f0f83d35.jpg

P6011950.jpg.7b6eda90fffdeb7b64dbbdf2b9601ec9.jpg