Help please?

AWarb00

Hi all,

this is my first thread although i have posted on here before.

I am 16 and have been into tree work for about two years and am very keen to get further into the trade, i am currently doing my GCSE's and hope do do my CS30/31 in the summer holidays.

i have been doing work with a few people that i know well, and am a very keen climber, but am finding that as i get older i find climbing harder, and finding that i'm don't feel as confident and need to hold on a lot more, and dont enjoy free climbing as much,

is this because of the little amount of work i do, i would be climbing maybe once every three weeks?

please help, would rec climbing help do you think, what are the laws about this? can i just climb any tree in my local park?

how do i upload pictures on here aswell? you can see my avatar which is me taking down a large conifer.

Thanks guys:thumbup:

Ainsley

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm are you having a laugh? Is this for real? Getting older! I've seen threads shot down in flames for less.

If your being serious, you will find repetition will help also techniques will improve and the all important skin will callous up and toughen with the rest of your body.

At your age I was climbing a thick rope feet first just for the challenge of it. Still to this day never been to the gym yet, admit my techniques could've been better.

As for uploading pictures. Choose go advanced in your reply at the bottom, pick the landscape/ postcard icon, go from there. You've done your avatar?

at that age the power to weight ratio can change quite a bit in only a few years.

i reckon i could have climbed lots of things with ease at 16 as i was only 5'9" and a skinny 10 stone.

5 years on i was 6'3" and 13 stone so climbing is more difficult, stronger i may have been but i was heavier.

now at 33 i am still 6'3" but because of alot of physical work i am not fat but now weigh 17 1/2 stone.

I am 16 .... but am finding that as i get older i find climbing harder, and finding that i'm don't feel as confident and need to hold on a lot more, and dont enjoy free climbing as much.....

I re-started climbing trees as a hobby last year.Confidence,in my case,is aided by the harness,ropes/lanyards etc that I use.Age is no barrier,I'm 61.

Erm are you having a laugh? Is this for real? Getting older! I've seen threads shot down in flames for less.

If your being serious, you will find repetition will help also techniques will improve and the all important skin will callous up and toughen with the rest of your body.

At your age I was climbing a thick rope feet first just for the challenge of it. Still to this day never been to the gym yet, admit my techniques could've been better.

As for uploading pictures. Choose go advanced in your reply at the bottom, pick the landscape/ postcard icon, go from there. You've done your avatar?

ok rephrase: as i have grown up over the last two years!

i am deadly serious, i have bought all my kit with my own hard earned money, probably over three grands worth including chainsaws...

at that age the power to weight ratio can change quite a bit in only a few years.

i reckon i could have climbed lots of things with ease at 16 as i was only 5'9" and a skinny 10 stone.

5 years on i was 6'3" and 13 stone so climbing is more difficult, stronger i may have been but i was heavier.

now at 33 i am still 6'3" but because of alot of physical work i am not fat but now weigh 17 1/2 stone.

yes i weigh about 11-12 stone not quite sure, and am relatively short for my age. i feel that weight definitely makes a difference as i probably climbed my first tree at 13/14 and was probaly about 9 stone, so as i have got heavier i admit i may have got musclier as iv grown but i feel im having to work a lot harder to get into a tree, specially with a saw... its just the confidence, when im 60 feet up i find it very hard to let go, i watch videos of people who can happily chuck themselves about as though there 10 feet of the ground, i admit im also not so great with height but i can push myself on.

thanks

Ainsley

i have done this but it asks me for the url of the picture? i have it as a file on my computer?