Your first time

chopperpete

Had my brother in law over from France recently and he mentioned how many trees he has cut down in his small wood, and I have yet to do so...only use my 16 inch Stihl (upgraded from a McCulloch) to cut up ready felled trees...wondering what it felt to cut down your first tree and what went wrong.... :001_rolleyes:

Not my first time but I was helping out a forester very early in my career, we were felling decent size sweet chestnut coppice for rails.

The first one I did normally and he pointed out the split along the stem, showed me how to cut it and leave a holding strap at the back. So I did that and down she went, I kept a poker face although I was pleased so as not to look gauche. He said "you can smile you know!"

So I did, from ear to ear.

The first few fells aren't that interesting. The best ones are:

The ones that go wrong (not great at the time but you'll remember them forever)

And the ones where you're not as confident as you're trying to look, but it all goes to plan.

Lol joe , first major cock up was getting a 3120 with 42" bar sat on , ha to unbolt the power head but it bent the bar after going side ways.

First trees I helped fell would of been on a winch at 13 ,first saw cutting was dead road side elms... Think I hashed the hinge up plenty with those too!

And the ones where you're not as confident as you're trying to look, but it all goes to plan.

I can't imagine what it's like to have one go wrong?

Bang on Mr Newton,i can only remember a few and those are the ones that had me caickin ma pants

True :lol: