12 v winch

Anyone any experience with the cheaper 12 volt winches.

Ideally 1 to 1.5 tonne pull with a remote control but remotes are available separately so not a deal breaker.

It's only for my own firewood and there are several I've seen on Amazon from £60 to £120. I do appreciate a winch for that money will not be a quality product but not sure I could justify spending much more than that sort of money. It's basically a toy to make the job easier than the manual methods I use now.

Anyone any experience with the cheaper 12 volt winches.

Ideally 1 to 1.5 tonne pull with a remote control but remotes are available separately so not a deal breaker.

It's only for my own firewood and there are several I've seen on Amazon from £60 to £120. I do appreciate a winch for that money will not be a quality product but not sure I could justify spending much more than that sort of money. It's basically a toy to make the job easier than the manual methods I use now.

I have used ones similar to this for light work

[ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-88992007-12-Vehicle-Winch/dp/B003SXGV4A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462122172&sr=8-3&keywords=12+volt+winch[/ame]

By light work I mean just hitching on the back of my little Panda 4x4 when stuck (yes they can become stuck!) or using to help pull the Lucas slabber along.

In both cases they are not life threatening if they do not work. I find that the pull is more than adequate for light work. They are very handy with the easy hitch onto a standard tow ball.

However do not expect much joy if you have a Land Rover stuck up to its door handles or trying to haul out a five foot diameter oak butt!

Thanks Billhook It's only for small back leaning trees. Most of my hardwood comes off an overgrown hedge which I coppice. Most are in the 4 to 8 inch diameter range with one or two up to 12 inch. Must come my way as the neighbour has a fence along the edge of his field. A remote would give me the option of a second line as a guide if necessary. I would be surprised if I ever needed more than 1/2 tonne pull but I would like to have some safety margin hence 1 to 1.5 tonne.

I bought one of the 12v winches a few years back for about £40. It is a Rolson and is just a generic Chinese winch similar to the enclosed black box ones that Amazon sell. Cheap as chips and bought to help get my boat up the slipway and out of the water to hitch up.

It has been brilliant keeping my car out of the water and I used it last week to take the strain on some spruce trees I was felling close to the road. Mounted it on my MuckTruck towball, connected to a buckshee car battery and bingo....job done.

Its not as flash as some of the Warn wannabees on Amazon but it works for me. Remember though that these only work in reverse....you have to pull the cable and hook out but it does have a remote on a wire just like my old Sony Betamax recorder did!

Edited by Patlmc

I bought one of the 12v winches a few years back for about £40. It is a Rolson and is just a generic Chinese winch similar to the enclosed black box ones that Amazon sell. Cheap as chips and bought to help get my boat up the slipway and out of the water to hitch up.

It has been brilliant keeping my car out of the water and I used it last week to take the strain on some spruce trees I was felling close to the road. Mounted it on my MuckTruck towball, connected to a buckshee car battery and bingo....job done.

Its not as flash as some of the Warn wannabees on Amazon but it works for me. Remember though that these only work in reverse....you have to pull the cable and hook out but it does have a remote on a wire just like my old Sony Betamax recorder did!

Cheers Tow ball mount is my other option. My ride on mower is going to carry the battery and winch and use a tree as an anchor. So probably the neatest plan would be to mount a small winch to the front of its chassis, reverse up to the anchor tree and hook up both ends.

The Winchmax winches are extremely good value for money, a friend of mine has had one on his landy for two yrs and regular use has had no problems with it.

I bought a wee one for a friend to put on his car transporter trailer a few months ago (sub£140) as payment for bringing my freelander back from w country and he really rates it.

As well as a lead remote you get 2 wireless controls and if the sender unit fails you can replace it including new controls for about £40 compared to £150 or so on a warm etc.

I will be putting the 120000lb one on my landy as soon as I have pennies for it and bumper!