Log cabin build vrs timber frame

AndyChalmers

I am on the verge of having some planning passed on 2 x log cabins over looking my lake & woodland. They are going to be for holiday lets. My planned idea of design is something 1.5 story like the 1st pic. However due to building it to building regs they want insulation on the inside defeating the log cabin point, plus not many log cabin builders about Im towing with the idea of a Timber framed cabin like the 2nd pic. What do you guys think

http://premierloghomes.co.uk/images/slideshow/1426073379*37*front1.jpg

albany-photo.jpg

The second pic is the log cabin right? I've built a couple to timber frames. Way easy to finish the interior the way you want, cavity walls mean you can hide wires, pipes, easy to install switches. Insulation wise I would say there's be no difference. Logs showing would look nicer, but more work to finish.

Could pick nice looking logs and put one in ever corner, floor to ceiling, (square off two faces) for the rustic feel. Leave a few branches sticking out for hangers. I know a guy in Pembrokshire who does that kind of work, M.C Rustics.

The second pic is the log cabin right? I've built a couple to timber frames. Way easy to finish the interior the way you want, cavity walls mean you can hide wires, pipes, easy to install switches. Insulation wise I would say there's be no difference. Logs showing would look nicer, but more work to finish.

Could pick nice looking logs and put one in ever corner, floor to ceiling, (square off two faces) for the rustic feel. Leave a few branches sticking out for hangers. I know a guy in Pembrokshire who does that kind of work, M.C Rustics.

Charlie & Merrick (MC Rustics) helped build our barn (agriçultural) - they're lovely chaps & did an awesome job.

Cheers, steve

Personally I prefer the look of the first picture but that balcony in the second pic is a winner, especially if it'd support a hot tub on it :-)

I wouldn't want to clean the glass on the first or the second one. And all that nasty looking timber walling needs covering in some Welsh pebble dash. :thumbup:

cheers, steve

Charlie & Merrick (MC Rustics) helped build our barn (agriçultural) - they're lovely chaps & did an awesome job.

Cheers, steve

They sure are, never met Charlie, but Mayrick and me go back a long way. I remember him telling me about that project - big slab walls? - he's a talented guy thats for sure.

I always wanted to have a go at building a proper log cabin. Would be hard to get the interior suitably finished for paying guests though, without tons of work, or using machined logs, or boarding out the inside - and that defeats the purpose