Moving from 339+357xp to MS201T+362C-M

RichardDesmond

Hi Folks!

I'm a Lurker for at least the last 2 years. Now officially a Newb (on 2 forums).

Have a few questions that some might be interested in discussing.

I run a gardening business in Ireland. I trained as a recreational climber for about 5 years, then trained in Tree Felling and Chainsaw Maintenance (C.S.30 +31). I can't really be called an Arborist, as I didn't specifically train as one.

I run 3 saws:

339xp, needs to be feathered on warm start, but does what I bought it for.

357xp, lovely saw, now with a 20 inch new bar and chain on it.:thumbup1:

Stihl Multitool chainsaw head for low limbing.

Just received grant funding for:

MS 201T C-M

MS 362 C-M

I am mostly a one-man show. I love doing tree work, but it is less than 20% of my business.

Any suggestions on a suitable set-up for the new Stihls? Spark Arrestors? Muffler Mods? Stock? Any worthwhile porting in Ireland/UK?

Any interest in the 2 XP's? (Not selling them for another month, until the funding hits my supplier and the new saws are available)

Thanks RD:thumbup:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks!

I'm a Lurker for at least the last 2 years. Now officially a Newb (on 2 forums).

Have a few questions that some might be interested in discussing.

I run a gardening business in Ireland. I trained as a recreational climber for about 5 years, then trained in Tree Felling and Chainsaw Maintenance (C.S.30 +31). I can't really be called an Arborist, as I didn't specifically train as one.

I run 3 saws:

339xp, needs to be feathered on warm start, but does what I bought it for.

357xp, lovely saw, now with a 20 inch new bar and chain on it.:thumbup1:

Stihl Multitool chainsaw head for low limbing.

Just received grant funding for:

MS 201T C-M

MS 362 C-M

I am mostly a one-man show. I love doing tree work, but it is less than 20% of my business.

Any suggestions on a suitable set-up for the new Stihls? Spark Arrestors? Muffler Mods? Stock? Any worthwhile porting in Ireland/UK?

Any interest in the 2 XP's? (Not selling them for another month, until the funding hits my supplier and the new saws are available)

Thanks RD:thumbup:

I'd suggest keeping the 357. Great saws. I got mine ported, put a faster sprocket on it, and a 15" bar. Great fun.

My take on selling kit is this: you might get £300 for that saw. That'll be gone within a few weeks, and unless you seriously need the cash, you'll have nothing to show for it.

If you keep it, you'll always be able to use it.

Yes, but I will have an MS362 to keep me warm at night. I know what you mean with the 357. It sounds great, pulls well and is very well built. I think the MS362 will be just a small step up, but also bullet proof. Looking forward to running it in...

I'd be keeping the 357 until I'd decided if I liked the Stihl. It's predecessor the 361 was brilliant (I still run one) but reviews of the 362 haven't been sparkling.

Yes, but I will have an MS362 to keep me warm at night. I know what you mean with the 357. It sounds great, pulls well and is very well built. I think the MS362 will be just a small step up, but also bullet proof. Looking forward to running it in...

I think after 6 months you will be disopointed

I don't know guys. Maybe you are right. I know that the 357 hasn't really seen heavy work, it had the original 15 inch bar on until a month ago AND it is a joyful thing to use in careful hands.

I might consider keeping it whilst I run in the MS 362 (this is the C-M variant, it is getting a better write-up...)

Buy a dozen spare clutch bearings.

That should give you a chance to get it run in :biggrin:

Hmmmm:sneaky2:

I have seen a lot of very good reviews of that saw, and a few not good reviews.

The same could be said of the MS201T C-M.

I think a lot of it comes down to weather you get a lemon or not. I have generally been pretty lucky with gear (and funding!) and mostly I take the time to learn how to use my gear well.