Tata steel joblost what do you think thanks

mendiplogs

It has been mentioned that the Scottish government haven't helped by sourcing foreign steel, more cheaply than British for the new forth crossing,

However if they had bought British steel at more expensive price then there would have been outrage over paying with public money.

They can't win.

It's not a good thing. But how many businesses can afford to lose £1,000,000 per day? And that's just at Port Talbot. How much are they losing elsewhere too. I can see that to Tata, it's just a case of cutting cost in order to survive and maybe if it becomes economically viable in the future, they may be able to resume production at the same sites. At the same time, I can appreciate that the closure or near closure of a steelworks, kills the local economy dead in its tracks.

I originally hark from a steel town. Once surrounded by coal mines. All are sadly now just history. Sure the air is now cleaner, the fells are green, (for the most part) and you can hang washing out and bring them is dry & clean. Not dirtier than when you hung them out. Working men live into retirement age and some are not racked with one or more industrial deceases when they die. But in an area built and fed on coal & steel. The loss of either or worse of both , deals a crippling blow to the towns and all the service industries for many miles around.

In my home town, the works finally closed to welcome in 1990. The last pit closed only a few years later. The town itself and surrounding towns barely alive, just shambling wrecks even now. Thatcher probably had a celebratory drink on both days. It wasn't London, so it didn't matter. Rant nearly over - suffice to say, I loathed Thatcher, her cronies & her henchmen with a passion! She broke community after community, partly to brake the unions and partly to make point about braking the unions.

Edited by TGB