Term time holidays for kids & parents getting fined by schools...

SteveA

I think taking a family holiday is one of the best educational tools for kids & also for their well-being.

It's good to see "Parents Want a Say" standing for their rights (after Councils instructed schools which led to a breach of the regulations)..... a lot of parents were fined and even more given the wrong advice.

Term-time holidays victory claimed by campaigners in Wales - BBC News

We wouldn't hesitate to take a term time holiday (although probably not around exam years).

What are your thoughts on getting the balance of family holiday/ school times?....

Cheers, steve

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think taking a family holiday is one of the best educational tools for kids & also for their well-being.

It's good to see "Parents Want a Say" standing for their rights (after Councils instructed schools which led to a breach of the regulations)..... a lot of parents were fined and even more given the wrong advice.

Term-time holidays victory claimed by campaigners in Wales - BBC News

We wouldn't hesitate to take a term time holiday (although probably not around exam years).

What are your thoughts on getting the balance of family holiday/ school times?....

Cheers, steve

Hi Steve how much is fine mate I have mates now in US on their holiday with kids they must've paid the fine thanks John

Hi Steve how much is fine mate I have mates now in US on their holiday with kids they must've paid the fine thanks John

Doesn't sound like a lot, but it is for parents on a very low/ or no income....

- Parents can be fined £60, potentially rising to £120, if paid later.

- They also face a £2,500 fine, a community order, or up to three months in prison, if prosecuted.

But also worth keeping in mind it's a lot cheaper to book holidays in term times because the holiday companies inflate their prices massively during school holidays.... so it often works out much cheaper to save on your holiday costs and just pay the fine.

Regardless; I wholeheartedly disagree with fining parents that want to go on a holiday with their kids for just a couple weeks.

cheers, steve

Edited by SteveA

Unless the schools can provide a lesson plan to be completed by the students and checked by the parents while on Holiday, I am personally against taking a vacation or holiday during the school year. Vacation, or holiday should not be used during the school year since this time can not be made up and could jeopardize the students future education. Fining parents is a stupid money grab IMHO and will only lead to more frustration on the part of the parents and the students. The students will once again be left holding the bag since their parents vacation time and schedule may take precedence over their school time and future.

easy-lift guy

Fair point about schools providing a lesson plan.... and it would be useful to have some spare paper available for lighting the camp fire. ;)

Not sure if it's the same in the USA?.... but here in the UK holiday costs are waaaay more expensive during school holiday times & a lot of families cannot afford a holiday /unless it's outside of those times.

Cheers, steve

Fair point about schools providing a lesson plan.... and it would be useful to have some spare paper available for lighting the camp fire. ;)

Not sure if it's the same in the USA?.... but here in the UK holiday costs are waaaay more expensive during school holiday times & a lot of families cannot afford a holiday /unless it's outside of those times.

Cheers, steve

I find that the local produce shops have the best kindling especially the banana boxes which a wax coated:thumbup1:. Planning vacation time during and around work and school schedules can be very challenging. My mother and father would travel to Florida in the winter months to leave the NE Winter and enroll my sister and I in school. When my father finally retired Florida became my home and remains the same to this day:thumbup1: More time than not if money is tight and generally it is:sneaky2: stay at home vacations are a choice, the expense is much lower and scheduling is less stressful. There is a lot to do and see here so it would also depend on the local and economy.

easy-lift guy

the whole school scheme is a complete farce having a holiday in term time makes no difference what so ever to grade or the intelligence of kids even if you did it every year Intelligent kids do not become Ignorant kids in that time and 2 extra weeks to for the less intelligence kids does not make them suddenly intelligent!!!!

my local schools ofsted report is excellent but its base only on the fact they have a high attendance as they point blank refuse anytime off in term time coupled to the fact i live on the biggest housing estate in britain where 70-80 of it social housing and viewed as a deprived area the parent here just can't afford the fines

It is one of the few things that they have got right here in Scotland - thus far, no fines.

We speak with the school before any planned absences, and the teaching staff are usually very supportive and understanding. They have often said that time spent with the family is far more educational than a week at school, but I appreciate it depends on circumstances (and age of the children).

For those of us whose income is related to tourism we have no option other than to try and get away outwith term time

Just been fined £240 for taking my two girls out of school to go on an epic trip across the USA. I have paid my fine as a good citizen but have appealed through the legal system. In summary the class went on a PGL trip that would have stung me for £1200 for doing nothing curriculum based so I took the hit and saved a fortune in airfares by booking out of school time.

My argument is that educationally my girls excelled in knowledge, culture, curiosity. We saw seven world record natural structures, 3 man-made ones and spent a lot of time learning. My girls have a 98% and 96% attendance and are in the top set for most subjects. They both play 4 instruments each, members of guides, attending British Athletics clubs and a plethora of charity work. At the age of 10 they think nothing of walking 10 miles on a weekend hunting me a nice tree or some wildlife.

Kids 2 doors down are really good at Playstaion games and swearing from what I can hear across the garden fence!

Talking to the head and the teachers we had a far better time but rules are rules!

the whole school scheme is a complete farce having a holiday in term time makes no difference what so ever to grade or the intelligence of kids even if you did it every year Intelligent kids do not become Ignorant kids in that time and 2 extra weeks to for the less intelligence kids does not make them suddenly intelligent!!!!

my local schools ofsted report is excellent but its base only on the fact they have a high attendance as they point blank refuse anytime off in term time coupled to the fact i live on the biggest housing estate in britain where 70-80 of it social housing and viewed as a deprived area the parent here just can't afford the fines

That's so true.

My school year was the first to do GCSE's.... 6 months into our final exam year we were told that the school hadn't been following the right curriculum and all the course work we'd done was of little to no use!... so it was back to square one. :thumbdown: As a result we had to squeeze a whole years work into half the time.

When the GCSE results came in they were comparable with other schools.

I'm a great believer that to pass exams you just (mostly) need life skills on how to apply yourself.

cheers, steve