Call from the bank

Alycidon

Its my overdraft renewal time, never used it but I like one there just in case.

Been with this bank for 6 years now, had 3 managers in that time. A few weeks ago my daughter told me that the bank had rung me at home mid afternoon mid week. I sent them a scorching e mail asking them why they expected me to be at home at such a time and to call me at my showroom. I had no response until last week when I got a poor quality message on my mobile asking me to ring, I ignored it.

Today I had the worst overdraft renewal phone call I have ever had. The lad had no idea what my company did, what its turnover and profit was, what its value is, all this is available on the web freely. All he was interested in was his annual arrangement fee, he considered a 10k OD to be very large !!, thats 10k not 10 million. I dropped in to see them a few weeks ago as I was in the area, no appointment admitted but I like to know who I am dealing with as people deal with people, alas no one was available to see me.

For two pins I would have told him to stuff it and changed banks but the first guy I did a deal with when I moved to them is a good man, think I will talk to him tomorrow. Where the hell did training and professionalism go.

A

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think that is bad some credit unions over here stateside don't even have people to meet in person, yes you walk in to a waiting room and talk to a screen!. You can go to the drive through and ,yep you guessed it another really nice screen to talk to!. Insane and equally frustrating.

easy-lift guy

Like Ted says, the "day of the screen" is creeping up on us...

It starts with the pay @ the pump for fuel, now McDonalds are going large with it (although I'd rather deal with a screen than a pimply youth shouting can I take your order when I'm clearly still looking at the bloody menu board). Then there are those really user friendly self serve tills @ the supermarket.

I can see the ever increasing minimum / living wage leading to greater automation.

You gotta love the efficiency of the self service tills. I doubt if I manage to use them one time in ten without assistance and if they are so bloody efficient, why do they always need a member of staff on hand to operate them?

Put him/her at a till and scrap the things.:sneaky2::biggrin:

I won't use them. You don't get a discount for doing the cashier's job unpaid so sod 'em. :sneaky2:

I too have a 10k overdraft facility. I've always had' it since I started out in business. I've had it for 25 years with the same bank. In the early days I'd go into the local branch once a year to talk through my accounts with the manager and renew the facility. What seems to have happened in recent years is that they change the manager every year or two (I reckon so you don't get yoo friendly and they don't end up lending you too much cash because of that). I've not personally met the manager for ten years or so. All they do now is just send me renewal paperwork once a year. Works ok for me but the personal touch has long gone sadly.

I had an overdraft facility years ago just in case I needed it but realised the bank were making a nice few pennies from me for something I was pre approved for and could ask and pay for if needed.

I haven't known for years who my business manager is.

Barclays can't even be bothered to tell me when they change them anymore.

Crap service and the only reason I stay with them is my Barclays Premier manager sorts anything to do with the business, and goes out of his way to sort out any issues we have, we have known and dealt with him for over 15 years, if I lose him I will just move to a more convenient bank as they really are rubbish in all aspects.

I have been told one of the reasons business managers get changed so much is because they fail to meet the very hard targets that the bank wants them to achieve, another is that you are graded, and the quality of manager you get is determined how much the bank makes from you, if they don't earn from you via debt then you get not such a hands on manager.

Personally all my business managers over the 35 years I have been trading have been knob heads except one, he was the only one who actually took the time to understand how we work.

Why pay for a over draft service you never use. Also tell them what you need if they will not lisern go to another bank till you are happy.

Last week I got to see a cashier at bank for the first time in months have been paying in cheques by box in bank, internet banking to move money about and customers paying on line so we will see less people working in banks.

Edited by woody paul