Leaking gutter

spandit

A few months ago when I had scaffolding up to repoint the chimney and drop some flue liners down, some rubble slid down the roof and into the gutter, breaking the bracket away from the soffit. The gutter and brackets are plastic and the gutter now overflows at that point as it's lower than the downpipe.

IMG_4795.jpg

As a result, whenever it rains, a heavy stream of water splashes down onto the tiled roof below and being an old cow shed, it tends to come through, which upsets the dogs who sleep beneath that part of the roof. I've put a piece of plastic there to deflect the worst of it, but it still makes a loud drumming noise.

The issue I have is that I can't work out how to get up to the gutter to refit the bracket as there's no flat place to put a ladder (the wall you can see next to the washing line is about 6m away from the back wall of the house). The green line shows the approximate roof line

Any ideas? Don't really want to put scaffolding up for a single bracket and not sure a cherry picker would have the lateral reach

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

difficult from a picture but if you could make space for a small (14m) tracked picker in the little concreted path to the right of the building - looks like you'd get the reach

others might be better to advise - what's the distance between the wall of cowshed and the wall line with the gutter?

a much bigger tracked mewp might still be cheaper than scaffolding (particularly if you can have a half day rate from someone local) - or can you get a truck mount nearby?

If you can get up the other side go over the top and down a roof ladder the side we can see. Tie some cross pieces to the ladders if the roof is weak and tie the ladders together to prevent slipping down the roof. Cross piece to space the ladder off the offending gutter and have the ladder past the gutter to give you a foot hold so you can reach.

Can't remember the name of them now, but there were a type of bracket/fitting available years ago to go onto ladders to which a scaffold board could be fitted to suspend between 2 ladders. Against all HSE regs of course, but still a great quick fix for a job like this. Maybe someone on here will rmember the name and or know if available?

We do have a scaffolding tower, not sure if it's high enough but I suppose I could erect it on the flat roof as then it would only need to be a foot high. Not convinced I'd get enough height to fix the bracket from there, mind

Might get access for a MEWP but the distance between the walls is about 6m

How about lightweight blocks, e.g. wooden boxes, on the flat roof to the height of the cowshed roof peak; then level scaffold boards between the two, stand on the scaffold boards or put a decorator's folding stool/platform on them.

Assuming the cowshed roof peak goes the 6m back to the main house wall that is.

Would something like this contraption bolted to the bottom of a ladder work on the dog house roof?

http://www.stabiladder.com/images/DSC00079.JPG

Must admit, I'd be terrified it would slip, but I'm a massive wimp.

Your not alone there. No way would I use that, and thats from someone who has spent a fair bit of time on glass house roofs.

Hi there.

Don't know if you're comfortable with ropes etc.

as the job itself will literally be five minutes, I would gain access to the roof from the other side and attach a large fabric strop to both chimney breasts (assuming they are sound). Attach a crab and small pulley to each and using these as two anchor points make your way gingerly down the roof.

Replace the bracket and either go back up or decend to the ground.

Return to the roof to retrieve slings etc.

I would use some form of edge protection on the roof if you do go over the side. Hope this is useful.