Wildlife camera ?

White Noise

Evening people long story cut short I was gifted a box of outdated crisps . The cheap n nasty space invader type . I accepted them and really pleased with my free bargain box so I am . Anyhow I have been leaving a few invaders pickled onion flavored around the yard every night . Sure the foxes are munching on them ? I just wondered what was the best camera to stick up the nearest tree to catch the blighters . Clarity of vision would be nice ? I have cctv on our yard gate . Just wanted something mobile less than a hundred buff . Also have buzzards at our yard most days to ? Could it be badgers ? Just curious is all . Might even be a Woodland Spriggan . A what ? Goggle it for yourself . Our main yard is a Beech Ash Sycamore woodland with lots of old growth stumps now surrounded by the over flowing bracken :001_smile:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008CNWR80?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00]Bushnell Trophy Cam 2012 HD Camera - Brown: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qbxkoGy2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41qbxkoGy2L[/ame]

I bought one of these in early 2013 for £224 from cameraking . I assume the £374 now asked is for an old stock item not produced anymore.

You can buy one like this for £60

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/VWTECH-Infrared-Trigger-Digital-Hunting/dp/B00O9THPTC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437806208&sr=1-1&keywords=trail+camera+with+night+vision]VWTECH 720P 8MP Low Glow Night Vision 5 MP Infrared Fast Trigger Digital Game Trail Hunting Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41USujWI%2BiL.@@AMEPARAM@@41USujWI%2BiL[/ame]

The reason I paid more was because we have an acre of lake where I leave the camera for some time before checking it and I wanted a black LED as a lot of them have red LEDs which show up at night.

There are twelve batteries in mine and they last for months. It also has a colour viewfinder. Of course night work is all black and white.

I have had some fantastic results on an animal trail around the lake.

Families of Roe and Muntjac plus a Chinese Water Deer.

Badgers Foxes and Carrion Crows all seem oblivious to the camera. (As do humans who should not be there!)

The highlight was definitely this March when a bitch otter brought her two pups on several occasions and they are playing on the concrete overflow.

She brings them fish to munch, usually Silver Rudd which we have in abundance. Otters are very rare in this area.

I also have a few clips of a big dog fox hanging around the overflow and sniffing the scent marks of the otters. He is staring out into the lake and I was thinking "oh no he is going for the pups."

However the next video 10 second clip sees him leap the overflow in one bound and his feet are nearly on fire, I have never seen a fox move so fast.

He was absolutely terrified of the otter bitch.

Somebody told me that although a fox will look big it is mainly fur whereas an otter is pure muscle and even a bitch will probably weigh more than a dog fox.

maybe 15 lb for the dog fox and 17lb for the bitch otter and 20lb for the dog otter according to google.

Everybody tells me that "They will clean your bloody lake out" but I think that is another of those crapetition stories as the lake has fish jumping everywhere in the evenings catching flies and if I throw some bread in it is like a scene from Jaws!

They apparently need 15 to 25% of their body weight in fish a day, I was hoping that they would clear it out but clearly the fish breed faster than they can eat them!

In conclusion a fantastically useful device for all Arbtalkers to see anything from wildlife in the woods to pilfering in the yard to seeing whether your neighbour is putting their rubbish in your bin! (Or checking on the milkman!)

Acorn 5210A is what I've been using for the last few years, for the money it's very useful. I have it set so that it takes a piccy and a 45 sec video. The cyclists that kept trashing my fences so they could ride through the woods soon stopped when I countered their denials with video of them doing it!

I wanted to find out who was leaving trash in a gateway, discovered my to my amusement that the gateway appears to be a local illicit shagging hotspot.

Acorn 5210A is what I've been using for the last few years, for the money it's very useful. I have it set so that it takes a piccy and a 45 sec video. The cyclists that kept trashing my fences so they could ride through the woods soon stopped when I countered their denials with video of them doing it!

I wanted to find out who was leaving trash in a gateway, discovered my to my amusement that the gateway appears to be a local illicit shagging hotspot.

Couldn't agree more, Acorn 5210A is a great bit of kit. Well worth the investment.

Al