Morals

eggsarascal

Today we went to a local barbecue, nice people, nice setting, great company.

Mrs Egg drove us home via the local supermarket to get herself a bottle of wine, leaving me supervising the car.

I spied a local lad i have known for as long as have lived here, I used to work for his father. He's a mess! He's always been one to indulge but, ... He's in a proper muddle! We gave him a lift back into town when he produced a bottle of wine he had stolen ( he told me so) from the supermarket. Mrs Egg gave him 20 quid to feed his belly, with whatever he wants to.... Was she right or wrong?

Normally we'd have fed him with her cooking but as we'd already eaten out, this wasn't going to happen.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrs Egg drove us home via the local supermarket to get herself a bottle of wine, leaving me supervising the car.

I spied a local lad i have known for as long as have lived here, I used to work for his father. He's a mess! He's always been one to indulge but, ... He's in a proper muddle! We gave him a lift back into town when he produced a bottle of wine he had stolen ( he told me so) from the supermarket. Mrs Egg gave him 20 quid to feed his belly, with whatever he wants to.... Was she right or wrong?

Normally we'd have fed him with her cooking but as we'd already eaten out, this wasn't going to happen.

I dont know what to say, what i do know is that society now is at rock bottom, your episode with a wine bottle is very mild compared with the life issues i am now having to face. :thumbdown:

Personally if he was hungry I would have taken him out to dinner, however he would have to leave the bottle of wine in the nearest trash can first. People make choices every day in every way. Although you had just finished your dinner earlier possible taking him out for dinner migh have encourage the young man to open up a bit and in turn helped him to find a better direction for the future. The fact that you worked for his father only makes the decision harder, at least Karen made an effort and. I am sure he appreciated the kindness as did I. I hope he find a better path for his future.

easy-lift guy

I don't see many homeless around my home town but plenty when I'm in the U.S. San Francisco is particularly bad. I usually carry around a pocket full of change or small notes. I don't know if it makes any difference handing it out to those that are sleeping under carpet on a freezing cold night. I honestly don't care if it's spent on booze, food or whatever if it gives someone some respite from what they go through. And yeah, it makes me feel a little better rather than just walking past pretending they're not there. To be fair, I think many that I've seen have had their minds frazzled by various substances. Last guy I handed a five dollar note too didn't even seem to realise what it was. What I will say is that every one of them that gets a little something, be it food, a hot drink or money, to a tee, have better manners than most people I meet on a day to day basis. Please and thanks, God bless you etc. to see someone charge into the local subway for a hot soup with the loose change you have just given them can be a little humbling.

In answer to the original question; you didn't steal the wine, merely reacted to the presumed plight of the guy with a kindly gesture.

HI EGGS IF MADE MRS HAPPY then it good you have to do what you think is right at time egg mate 👍thanks Jon 👍

Eggs, you're obviously a decent man to do that but will he think that every time he sees you he can expect the same? We have a local pee artist, only a young man, in our village and I used to stop to give him a lift now and again into town. That was ok until he knocked on my door at 1030 in the morning absolutely leathered and demanded a lift. I don't bother now I drive past him. We used to have a few gypsies outside the local Lidl store begging for money. My wife gave them stuff like bananas and once a bar of soap, which went down well. The moral of that is never beg from a Jock.

I do a lot of work with recovering addicts. I was one myself which is why I have a passion for helping others escape from the clutches of addiction. I have come to learn that making someone comfortable in their addiction is definitely not a good thing. It was only when I had lost everything and everyone, had squandered every resource and hit absolute rock bottom that I really got serious about turning my life around.

The biggest favour my family did for me was shut the door on me. (This was after they had tried everything else to help me). If you continually keep bailing an addict out when they hit crisis point, they never feel the full effect of the consequences of their actions.

Current government and medical policy is to "maintain" addicts and make them comfortable. So much so that it has become a career/lifestyle choice for many. Why should people want to change when everything is put on a plate for them.

I do a lot of work with recovering addicts. I was one myself which is why I have a passion for helping others escape from the clutches of addiction. I have come to learn that making someone comfortable in their addiction is definitely not a good thing. It was only when I had lost everything and everyone, had squandered every resource and hit absolute rock bottom that I really got serious about turning my life around.

The biggest favour my family did for me was shut the door on me. (This was after they had tried everything else to help me). If you continually keep bailing an addict out when they hit crisis point, they never feel the full effect of the consequences of their actions.

Current government and medical policy is to "maintain" addicts and make them comfortable. So much so that it has become a career/lifestyle choice for many. Why should people want to change when everything is put on a plate for them.

Very true and extremely present here stateside. Professional pan handlers in some parts of the country actually have to have id badges to prove who they are and what they more or less do:thumbdown: Maddness!

easy-lift guy