ID my hatchet ?

Tractor62

image.jpg.52166a12fa1f3055a47d7add316b38c9.jpg

Picked this up at a local boot fair in a very rusty but not too bad state at the time of purchase all I could make out through the rust was "Sweden" so thought it was worth a punt. Now I've got it cleaned up I found the marks as per the picture (G inside a square above "made in Sweden" blank on other side) so far Google can't seem to find any definitive answer as to its maker (closest guess I've found is early gransfors mostly due to the small amount of original blue paint on the head) so I thought I'd put it over to the collective knowledge of arbtalk and see if anyone knows A who made it and B is it likely to be any good.

Thanks Graham

The Canadian firm Garant had a lot of axes made for them in Sweden, but I don't recognise that mark as theirs. Gransfors have a habit of adding maker's initials to their axes, so I'm not sure about it being from them. And it would likely have more forge marking. Gefle Vapen made axes in Sweden, but they're pretty rare. Even rarer would be a Gavle axe - I think they were made 1880s to 1900s - and the Made in Sweden stamp probably counts this out

Edited by growforest
Reword

Thanks for the replys so far. I've continued my google trawling and come up with this from an American blade forum

image.jpg.8fabbd4a8d776cc5de5c84396bc2327b.jpg

The head size, shape and paint colour all seem to match with what I have so I'm guessing it's been re handled at some point as there's no trace of epoxy that I can see. Assuming it is an old gransfors I'm thinking new handle, good sharpen up and put it to work or is it a museum piece

Edited by Tractor62
Spelling

It's Swedish steel! Put it to work and let someone else think about assigning it to history in 50years time😀

Exactly as I thought 😀 the handle on it is pretty tired but I've put an edge on the head and will use it as is till it breaks then make a new one to fit.