Idea for new carving bar - stop controls depth.

Rob D

Simple idea - but how about if you had a carving bar with holes drilled - and then you could screw a stop or similar and this way it would control the depth of cut - carvers do you think this would be handy?

:biggrin:

59766d8a8f6be_2015-07-1216_40_07.jpg.6bac9e7abb58931fca8065accafc65e4.jpg

59766d8a8dbde_2015-07-1216_40_03.jpg.5525b66ad03f410168359e432ad4c0ed.jpg

Hi Rob,

Looks like it may work, don't know much about carving other than what I have watched,

How about cutting a slot in the bar then having a bolt with two washers so you can slide up & down the bar?

N

Limited uses I would think Rob. The fiddling around changing the stop constantly would soon get tiring. I'd then just be using the series of holes as a guide.

Markings on the bar that were not painted and wouldn't wear off would be a better idea, but more consistent measurements than on the Stihl bars.

25mm (1") would be good :)

Edit: Just seen your pic has 1" centres!

... so even without the bolt in there the drill holes could give an idea of depth?

:001_smile:

Yes, and they wouldn't need to be as big as those in the image.

I normally use the writing on the bar as a guide, but once it's worn off it's all guesswork. (It's mostly guesswork anyway!!! ;) ;) )

I use a G-clamp for that, but only when it really matters or when I have a lot of cuts the same depth as it's added hassle.

Little nicks with a 1mm disc at 20mm intervals for measuring.

It would be better than a G if you could move it with some sort of quick-release, so it would take no time to adjust/remove.