Need to upgrade from a Husqvarna 435 - Recommendations please!

twinkletoes

We're currently running a Husqvarna 435 for cutting fire wood. We cut solely hardwood (mostly oak) and frequently need to use an 18" bar to get enough reach. I'm finding the 435 struggles with a bar of this length so I'm looking to get something more powerful. Price wise £550 mark would be good. I can get the Husqvarna 455, 555 and in particular the 550xp for this price (Garden machinery, forestry and tree surgery supplies from FR Jones and Son | F R Jones and Son) and I want to stick with a Husky. Any thoughts god or bad on these saws and any others that might be suitable please...

For the work you describe I would go for the Husqvarna 365Xtorque . Will run an 18" or 20" lemon squeazy . Also simple mod to make it into a 372 . Just grind off the fins on the inside of the transfer cvers and bingo a 372 for 365 money !

The 550 would be my choice, I run one with a 13,15 and 18" bar and it's a great saw, plenty of power and gets to that speed real quick.

Great saw ( when you got a goodun ! ) but a forestry saw really . Cross cutting fire wood all day I would choose the 365/372 .

Hi

I run a 365 XTorque on a 20" bar & cut a fair bit of large oak for firewood, we also have MS250 which is similar to the 435 so be a good step up for the bigger stuff

I daresay the 550 would also be a good choice but Im yet to be convinced auto tune is a good thing after several years of manual carbs I just know I would get the problematic one!

N

try to avoid autotune but for love of god avoid 555, works one never seems settled, doesnt quite rev enough to really go for it. bogs down easily.

try for a good used 357 (some on here may have one for sale) or a 372 - i have both and love them for firewood.

i do a very small amount felling with mine but a lot of firewood and they are great

Nothing wrong with auto tune if there set up right. 357 are old and will be mostly knackered get a 550 xp

I thought the idea of autotune was they set themselves up ? They calibrate themselves to the conditions don't they ?

I thought the idea of autotune was they set themselves up ? They calibrate themselves to the conditions don't they ?

Yes but you have to set the auto tune when first used,not hard but some people don't and then complain it won't run right!