Chipper hydraulic oil

humpo48

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with a 1000 hours for a hydraulic change. Maybe 800 if it leaks a lot.

A decent leak should mean longer intervals because the oil is refreshed regularly by topping it up.

Get a good enough leak going and all you need do is spin on a new filter now and again.:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

It would really depend on the type of oil used. We do specify 1000 hrs as said, but we have that if it is that bio stuff we chuck into some machines at customers request. Other oil people might have a different view depending on the grade.

Personally, if it is still clear - I might be tempted to leave it.

I'm glad you said that Pete! I don't think I've changed it in a decade on my TW.

I was sort of under the impression (like with my grinder) that after an initial 50 hour oil and filter change, presumably for any small pieces of scurf from pumps etc, it'll be good for a long, long time.

Would think changing the filter on a properly maintained closed hydraulic system to be a waste of money. If you are mindful of filter material in breather(clean it regularly, ) use a clean container to top up the system, and are using a good anti corrosion / wear /high temp oil, and the oil does not overheat or varnish,then you will apart from run in service be ok! I have read up on this and while manufacturers of machines will recommend low service hours for hydraulics,(100 hrs??????? that would be a handy week on some gear)

If the above is adhered too you should have a spotless system, therefore no need to change filters, however if you let the usual crap that is found around any filler neck/cap to blow in or the swallow sh:t and dust on the oil container, then good luck,! Because you really will make mince meat of the hydraulics,

Last year I cooked the oil in a hydraulic pack, it went brown(varnished) .... So took it back to the workshop stripped it down flushed it changed the filter washed the tank put it back into service, (oil cooler was well blocked, and not big enough from first day) cut old filter open , and apart from the brown staining from the oil was immaculate, I have heard of pumps ruined by continuing to run with varnished oil, so a quick dissemble showed all to be in order,

There were 4500 approx hrs on that unit with only one filter change after run in, and the oil was replenished after breaks in the units she was driving,

More damage is done by not priming the pumps motors, ie; starting them without oil being run through them manually.

In short keep the system clean and keep a close eye on it!

God I do go on a bit ,but lessons learned through trial error and research, hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk while dossing!

Cool, the only reason I am asking its my chipper has only done 100hrs in 2 years so changing oil every year might be a bit over the top? Have no issues changing filter every year, just really want to know realistically how long the hydraulic oil could last on a very well cared for chipper? The rest of the chipper is serviced well.