Help with my Cert. Arb please

DanClimbsTrees

Stuck on this one...

"Specify two periods in the life of a tree when it might be vulnerable to attack from damaging agents."

Not really sure what "damaging agents" is but I've put down:

i. Seedling – These are very susceptible to damage by either weather (frost) or by traffic (animal or human).

I was thinking they'd be more susceptible after an injury before a wound had been fully compartmentalized also?

What do you think?

Cheers,

Dan

(in b4 "I think you should do your own bloody coursework").

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought that you're on the money with your first one (throw in "biotic" and "abiotic" for bonus points), and that the obvious other period is late in the tree's life when it starts to decline and lose vigour.

Sounds good to me.

What I can think of:

1. When very young (ungulate browsing, trampling, lack of hardiness)

2. When stressed (salt damage, ground compaction, pollution, or other factor)

3. When injured (particularly from pruning wounds and crown snap-outs; if the cambium is fully exposed, there is more risk than if the phloem or periderm has suffered injury)

4. In very old age (post-mature trees have a lessened ability to put on new growth rings, have general reduced vigour, and respond less well to any sort of change)

5. When already ill (anthracnose in plane may weaken the host and leave it open to secondary infection, for example)

6. When honey fungus decides it's going to attack, either due to general pathogenicity, root contact with nearby infected trees, or some other reason I can't think of right now.

Edited by Kveldssanger

I would have thought that you're on the money with your first one (throw in "biotic" and "abiotic" for bonus points), and that the obvious other period is late in the tree's life when it starts to decline and lose vigour.

Thanks, John. I don't know too much about veteran trees just yet, I'll have a look into them!

Sounds good to me.

What I can think of:

1. When very young (ungulate browsing, trampling, lack of hardiness)

2. When stressed (salt damage, ground compaction, pollution, or other factor)

3. When injured (particularly from pruning wounds and crown snap-outs; if the cambium is fully exposed, there is more risk than if the phloem or periderm has suffered injury)

4. In very old age (post-mature trees have a lessened ability to put on new growth rings, have general reduced vigour, and respond less well to any sort of change)

5. When already ill (anthracnose in plane may weaken the host and leave it open to secondary infection, for example)

6. When honey fungus decides it's going to attack, either due to general pathogenicity, root contact with nearby infected trees, or some other reason I can't think of right now.

Thank you for such a detailed reply. Much appreciated :thumbup1:

Still on a Cert Arb holiday mate, it's never a problem with the badgering.

Works way too busy, if we had a month of rain i'm sure I would be able to get a few more lessons under my belt.