Intro to SRT

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wont be switching as much as adding a new tool to the arsenal. I find it best in spreading trees (lots of redirects), and ones where a single anchor point wont access the whole tree with ease. Also good for trees where you need to go up and down alot. Nice for working on spar poles too.

Can be used just for access and then set up doubled rope. Its nice to not have to isolate tie in point. Disadvantages are you might struggle when coming in from branch walks, it's also a learning process as it's quite different to DRT.

Disadvantages:

None because if you buy a friction device that works perfectly in both configurations, you can switch between SRT and DRT as you wish.

That won't be the HH then!!!

I think a haas type system is essential , I never thought to try it until the other day but after I realised my rope wrench and hitch hiker had been left in another bag off site I would have to ascend 50ft of thin air on a double rope,the haas worked really well at that task.

I think both systems have there pros tbh ascent really is the main one for me with SRT but carrying ascenders and the rope wrench tether flopping around trying to work a canopy and getting in the way I find myself using ddrt a lot still as to me it's simpler in a crowded canopy.

Inspiration though.

[ame]

[/ame]

liked the gorilla vid, seen it before, but on watching it again, made me realize it's not my gear that's holding me back - it's lack of skill and practise. Was going to splash out on a rope runner, or similar, but can see that guy on his wrench is as good as I'd need to be to earn decent coin. Spending another few hundred quid on new gear won't give me his abilities.

The book Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture is a good read, although came out before the new Rope Runner and similar devices. The base anchors in the book are well complicated, but some good stuff on work positioning.

You obviously have not used a HH then.

To switch from a doubled rope to stationary rope (& back again) you need make no alterations to equipment or hitch knot.

I have one but with out a pulley it's not on par with the wrench imo especially with a double rope..... Was taking on your comments on another thread ;)

I actually think the hitch hiker is well on par with the rope wrench with the added bonus of being able to switch to DDRT too. Easy to install a pulley with HH too. really looking forward to mk 2 HH. Had to leap to its defense as I really think the HH is the best tool to make a transfer to SRT. Simple and very versatile....

• 4 months later...