Cattle stock fencing

t0ny0k

I've been asked by a farmer who is a friend of a relative to quote, to erect some fencing to keep his cows in. I have just starting up doing Trees & fencing. I have plenty of experience doing fencing for private houses but have never done anything on a bigger scale for a farmer.

Have you any advice on how to tackle the job and how do I quote for it.

Where would somebody by the wire fencing required in the Pontypridd area.

I want to do a good job as I would like to approach the farmer to rent some land from him in the future if the tree surgery part of the business takes off.

I've been asked by a farmer who is a friend of a relative to quote, to erect some fencing to keep his cows in. I have just starting up doing Trees & fencing. I have plenty of experience doing fencing for private houses but have never done anything on a bigger scale for a farmer.

I want to do a good job as I would like to approach the farmer to rent some land from him in the future if the tree surgery part of the business takes off.

I do this work, to be competitive you need to be mechanised, tractor, knocker, wire spooling equipment, wire tensioners and the usual hammer, spirit level kind of tools.

How many metres?

This is a guide to the national average price, check top of page 3.

Edited by Goaty

I am fencer and without being cheeky, you should have already done some for free or cheap rate to gain experience, there is so much to factor in, ground conditions, terrain, what type of animal's, are they wild, are they cow's and calves, or store cattle, will there be sheep,

Then there's the materials, post spacing, spec of wire, are you running ain lines along .with your stock net, where will the pressure points be, next to gates, water troughs, sheltered areas, a lot to take I to account but only experience and trial and error will teach you,

My early work isn't a patch on my latest work and it also.most embarrasses me but we all have to learn

If you have never done stock fencing before I'd be wary once you have experience it can be done quickly but learning on the job can slow things down greatly charge accordingly.

Thanks guys,all your points are taken on board. Initially when I was asked I shook my head and said 'no'. But to be fair to the farmer he is willing for me to have a look at the job as he prefers to give work to people he has close contact with,in this case my relative. I'm not sure of the quantity as yet. I have nothing to lose at this stage. For sure I'll pass,on the opportunity if I can't deliver.

A few years ago we cleared trees and vegetation round a large chunk of MOD land that was app 60 kilometers to make way for stock fencing. The ground conditions varied from soft sand to nothing but rocks and flint, the lads with the tractor and knocker on the soft stuff would bang in hundreds of meters a day but on the horrid boney old ground they were brought to a standstill and had to hand dig in most the posts. Long before you commit to a method it may pay to get up there and dig a few test holes so you know what you are getting into.

Bob

To highlight the above did a job start of this week only about 500m dug test holes across the site 50m apart, first 300m went in great, next 100 rocks were in the way none of which I'd found with the test holes, luckily we could set fence back abit but it's vitally important to sit visit and dug some holes, most farming stuff I've done the site doesn't vary much but you might say that then it takes you 3 hours to get a strainer in.

As other's have said ground can be the main problem.

Some bits of advice, lay the cards on the table with customer let them now you are willing to give it ago and do your best, or get some help from someone how had done fencing before and learn on the job and get payed.

If possible get someone with plenty experiance of this type of fencing to do the job with you, you will prob learn loads from them. I price per m and add on 15 pound per strainer, the farmer should tell you what spec of fence he wants you to build. Testing the ground is a good idea, plenty fencers lost money by hitting rock!

Quite interesting thread this, I think doing stock fencing is underrated. It is quite a skill to get it right. Just one of those jobs you get better with experience, most people have very own ways of doing things and most of the time is through making mistakes.