1986 storm oak boards.

Mcurties

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice for a client of mine, he has a large amount of oak planks that were cut from fallen trees in the 86" storm, planked professionally to various lengths and stored inside a barn....

What or where is the best place to advertise these and for what prices? As he is looking to part with them all, I will try and get some pictures of them ASAP.

Thanks, mike.

Alongside pictures, dimensions and quantities of each would really help. Really it needs length x thickness x minimum width if sawn waney edged, or absolute width if sawn straight edged. Also need to indicate whether they are clean without cracks, or whether there are significant defects, and whether they are straight grained without knots, knotty, pippy/burred, and finally, is it normal 'oak colour' or a rich, dark brown. The above will all determine what it is best used for (and of course influence the price).

Alec

i thought the storm was in 1987?

You are correct Steve, I remember it well.

Was working for the local authority at the time. they had us out cutting fallen trees with chainsaws for 3 months before they thought 'Oh, better get them some training!' :001_tongue:

Hi

Yes, I thought 1987, that famous Michael Fish forecast - "Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!".

October 15 1987

N

Hi

Yes, I thought 1987, that famous Michael Fish forecast - "Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!".

October 15 1987

N

That incident seemed to be the beginning of a culture of people who were in prominent and highly paid positions, refusing to resign when they have done something wrong.

It seems to be a joke now but at the time much damage could have been averted if people had battened the hatches.

I remember hearing the woman calling in live saying that her sister was living in Brittany and she was in the middle of a hurricane which seemed to be heading North.

That incident seemed to be the beginning of a culture of people who were in prominent and highly paid positions, refusing to resign when they have done something wrong.

It seems to be a joke now but at the time much damage could have been averted if people had battened the hatches.

I remember hearing the woman calling in live saying that her sister was living in Brittany and she was in the middle of a hurricane which seemed to be heading North.

Yes, I think that was correct, the north west France was battered, Finistere, Morbihan St Brieuc all very badly damaged with no power for several days.

I think to get fired from the bbc you have to have an argument over a steak!

N