Vermeer 252 pillow bearings

treefrog

Hi guys I need some new bearings for my cutting wheel. Has anyone used another supplier for this as vermeers price is very high. Also do you have the specs as I don't have the time to take mine off to then order some others. Would be good to have it all ready then I can fit over a weekend.

Hi guys I need some new bearings for my cutting wheel. Has anyone used another supplier for this as vermeers price is very high. Also do you have the specs as I don't have the time to take mine off to then order some others. Would be good to have it all ready then I can fit over a weekend.

see if you can get some purge bearings , miles better , no seals to blow .

Don't be tempted to fit RHP or similar, they won't last, but will be a lot cheaper, I expect they will be a Browning or Rexnord, they'll still be expensive where ever you go. Better to fit the good ones. As for the specs better to get the old ones off and measured, there will be variations. Being Vermeer they'll be imperial.

I replaced the bearings on my Rayco - just measured all dimensions then contacted a few suppliers. None of them could understand the price of the 'originals' and even the very top spec 'standdard' ones were far cheaper.

Don't forget the measure the offset of the bearing from the centres of the mounting holes.

Good luck

For general engineering use, SKF has a very good reputation but never had any problms with RHP or Timken either. Biggest price difference will be dealers markup rather than quality unless you go really cheap. If you go to a reputable bearing supplier/ factor they will not sell you rubbish anyway. Biggest thing for longevity is regular maintenance/greasing. Leave it too long and the grease ways get blocked and the bearing fails because the grease cannot get where it should. Best thing as everyone knows is little and often, rarely done that way though.

My main problem is Doing it as I have to shoe horn all my gear in a single garage so don t have the time or space to take it a part then pack away and do it all over again. Would like to just take old ones off and do a straight swap around. Also so I don t forget where everything goes.

My main problem is Doing it as I have to shoe horn all my gear in a single garage so don t have the time or space to take it a part then pack away and do it all over again. Would like to just take old ones off and do a straight swap around. Also so I don t forget where everything goes.

That's always a problem. Always worth keeping records of bearing sizes/numbers as you come across them. Photos might be a help for you too. Sometimes you can access/ measure a bearing or shaft without removal or in the course of doing another job. Verniers start from about £7 so might be a good investment for you.

Be prepared to be in need to probably cut the old bearings off.

Find out the exact torque for the allen screws and use loctite on them.

Good luck.