Fence. Who owns it.

NoRush

I have some tight arsed council scrounging neighbours who are refusing to replace the broken fence panels. We have asked.

. The question is who owns it. I understand as you look onto your back garden the fence on the left is the neighbours responsibility. Is this right. Is there any legal right.

. We did replace the whole fence years ago, jointly, and he agreed it was his but seems to have forgotten . Any advise greatly appreciated

I have some tight arsed council scrounging neighbours who are refusing to replace the broken fence panels. We have asked.

. The question is who owns it. I understand as you look onto your back garden the fence on the left is the neighbours responsibility. Is this right. Is there any legal right.

. We did replace the whole fence years ago, jointly, and he agreed it was his but seems to have forgotten . Any advise greatly appreciated

Check your deeds. It should all be in there. :001_smile:

Our deeds state as you look from the front of the house to the rear then the fence to the left is owned by us.

I Did a fence in luton and the customer had a letter from the council and it stated as you say the fence on the left looking out of your back door is yours. Another customer in Dunstable (a couple of miles away) said their deeds stated their fence was on the right.??

Our deeds state as you look from the front of the house to the rear then the fence to the left is owned by us.

I Did a fence in luton and the customer had a letter from the council and it stated as you say the fence on the left looking out of your back door is yours. Another customer in Dunstable (a couple of miles away) said their deeds stated their fence was on the right.??

Yep. Mine here state that looking from the road towards the front of the property the fence on the right is mine. In our last house it was the other way round.

Owning the fence on the left is more common but not a fixed rule some people own the fence on the right, some own all, some own none. The property deeds are the only way to confirm it.

In a council or housing association owned property maintenance of fences, walls or any other form of boundary are almost always the landlords responsibility not the tenants (the exception being hedges which are always the tenants responsibility) although the tenant does usually have the right to maintain & replace them at their own expense if they are inclined to do so.