re pruning a pollarded sycamore tree

grayedout

I am going to be re pruning/pollarded a pollarded sycamore tree which is my brother in laws. was thinking of cutting just above the new growth. he likes the shape but its getting to big since the last 3/4 years it was done..

any advice would be great.

Cheers

Andy

59766cc5e5f4f_repruningapollardedsycamoretree.jpg.71c9601ba7faece3544129653588adf5.jpg

I would take it down another 2 or 3 mtrs below previous cuts.

For any particular reason? It's essentially a pollard now, so if it's cut at the bolls that would be accepted practice. Cutting lower, would in time, create a new pollard albeit at a lower height. Do you just think it would be more convenient/better lower?

Just interested in your reasoning and not being argumentative.

For any particular reason? It's essentially a pollard now, so if it's cut at the bolls that would be accepted practice. Cutting lower, would in time, create a new pollard albeit at a lower height. Do you just think it would be more convenient/better lower?

Just interested in your reasoning and not being argumentative.

No, fair enough, as a sycamore it would support being cut lower no problem.

And as you say it would be more convenient/easier to manage.

It would be the same amount of work for more result.

If the client likes the height because it blocks out some flats or something behind fair enough.

I am going to be re pruning/pollarded a pollarded sycamore tree which is my brother in laws. was thinking of cutting just above the new growth. he likes the shape but its getting to big since the last 3/4 years it was done..

any advice would be great.

Cheers

Andy

That poor tree.... all it ever wanted to be was a tree.... but no one , possibly different owners, or possibly the same deranged owner set in the same mind set over a number of years, would not leave it alone. All it ever wanted to be was as tall as it is now, why not just leave the tree alone, try and talk to your brother in law , educate him in the growth and development of trees and why they grow and why they mature and growth slows, look up IAA and apical dominance and then try and talk some sense into the brother in law, DON'T TOP IT AGAIN

That poor tree.... all it ever wanted to be was a tree.... but no one , possibly different owners, or possibly the same deranged owner set in the same mind set over a number of years, would not leave it alone. All it ever wanted to be was as tall as it is now, why not just leave the tree alone, try and talk to your brother in law , educate him in the growth and development of trees and why they grow and why they mature and growth slows, look up IAA and apical dominance and then try and talk some sense into the brother in law, DON'T TOP IT AGAIN

The problem you now have though is the weak attachment points of the new regrowth as a result of the topping. Re topping which it is as opposed to pollarding may be the only real option for future management given the weaker attachment. Sycamore reductions to bs3998 I find notoriously difficult on a previously topped tree due to the excessive extension growth that occurs with few laterals that is typical of sycamore regrowth.

i totally agree - tipping is no good for any tree, and if it must be done, then there are better solutions, (removal and replaced with more appropriate tree). the usual reason for tipping is for the council approved arborists to make money. read what Alex Shigo has to say about this practice.