Stihl flywheel pullers

aspenarb

Do you even need a puller?

The screw in ones work on older saws which have the threads but the newer stihls don't have them.

Much easier just to unscrew the centre nut of the flywheel til its flush with the end of the crank. Hold the saw up with your left hand by the flywheel and a sharp crack with a small hammer via the right hand on the end of the crank/nut normally frees it up first time.

If its a bigger saw keep it on the floor and hold flywheel 1 handed and crack with the hammer and that works to but may take a few attempts due to not having the extra weight of saw helping you.

Every now and again on small saws with small centres or old saws etc rather than crack it with a hammer just use the compressor with an air chisel fitted with a point. Hold flywheel with 1 hand. Chisel point in centre of crank and a quick blip/tap with the air chisel and jobs a good un.

Edited by wisecobandit

Do you even need a puller?

The screw in ones work on older saws which have the threads but the newer stihls don't have them.

Much easier just to unscrew the centre nut of the flywheel til its flush with the end of the crank. Hold the saw up with your left hand by the flywheel and a sharp crack with a small hammer via the right hand on the end of the crank/nut normally frees it up first time.

If its a bigger saw keep it on the floor and hold flywheel 1 handed and crack with the hammer and that works to but may take a few attempts due to not having the extra weight of saw helping you.

Every now and again on small saws with small centres or old saws etc rather than crack it with a hammer just use the compressor with an air chisel fitted with a point. Hold flywheel with 1 hand. Chisel point in centre of crank and a quick blip/tap with the air chisel and jobs a good un.

I did that with a 395XP late at night once and fell arse over tit as I was on my haunches holding it over the floor and losing the extra weight of the saw sent me backwards and a right old rate:thumbdown:

I have two screw in ones, a Stihl one for saws up to MS660 and made my own out of a Gas pipe fitting I taped the centre of for larger saws - cost a couple of quid and fits the MS880s and the older big stuff.

I did that with a 395XP late at night once and fell arse over tit as I was on my haunches holding it over the floor and losing the extra weight of the saw sent me backwards and a right old rate:thumbdown:

I have two screw in ones, a Stihl one for saws up to MS660 and made my own out of a Gas pipe fitting I taped the centre of for larger saws - cost a couple of quid and fits the MS880s and the older big stuff.

Have 1 drink to many? :laugh1:

I tend to do mine over the dogs bed "just in case" of that situation but heavier stuff is easier just to stick on the dog bed and blip the air hammer/chisel.

Got several pullers but think ive only ever used them in the middle of the night when "her indoors" is asleep.. :001_rolleyes:

Christ! you two have stronger hands than me to hold a large saw by the flywheel with one hand whilst swinging the hammer with the other.

Works for me up to 45cc ish but beyond that no chance.

I usually use some very gentle tapped in wedges such as screwdrivers under the flywheel, against strong parts of the engine casing, just to apply a little outward pressure. Then a short, sharp tap on the nut just covering the thread. Make sure to hit it dead square though or you get a wobbly nut.

Christ! you two have stronger hands than me to hold a large saw by the flywheel with one hand whilst swinging the hammer with the other.

Works for me up to 45cc ish but beyond that no chance.

I usually use some very gentle tapped in wedges such as screwdrivers under the flywheel, against strong parts of the engine casing, just to apply a little outward pressure. Then a short, sharp tap on the nut just covering the thread. Make sure to hit it dead square though or you get a wobbly nut.

Just caught up Barrie, "You have a woman’s hand, milord! I’ll wager these dainty pinkies never weighed anchor in a storm..":lol:

I've seen you, I am sure you can lift a 395XP with one hand, you didn't look like a wall flower to me:lol:

I also use a screwdriver tapped in behind the flywheel but also have a nifty selection of pullers:thumbup: