riding the crane hook into the tree

Rowden the cowboy

I have heard from numerous unreliable sources that the climber riding the crane hook into the tree to get there anchor point in is bad practice and actually illegal?! Just looking for some clarification on the matter: is it illegal, if so, why? also, who would be liable in the event of an accident as a result of this practice? I have seen it done several times now and cant work out why it would be bad practice.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well- not sure why it would be bad practice, IF you descend into crown from above from the hook, so no side impacts can occur, riding the hook into the crown would be risky- as you could break branches with the hook an get one on yr head. After all-you are not in danger of the rig failing- really-no different from climbing out of the mewp basket really, is it?

K

i have spoken to two crane companies and there take on this was that as long as the cranes lifting hook does not come into contact with the tree and that you make your decent into the tree using your rope system there is actuall nothing wrong with it as long as the cranes hook can not open . secondly there is no LAW against it , as long as your kit is LOLER'd and the crane driver is happy to cive you a lift .

have a think about how they are allowed to use a man basket from a crane ????

Just a guess but could it be to do with loler? If the crane is lifting a person would it need a 6 monthly rather than 12monthly inspection? Plus the hook would become part of the climbing system and does not have a 3 way gate. It wold be possible for the rope to slip foo the hook if you got caught on a branch.

I still do it though.

Just a guess but could it be to do with loler? If the crane is lifting a person would it need a 6 monthly rather than 12monthly inspection? Plus the hook would become part of the climbing system and does not have a 3 way gate. It wold be possible for the rope to slip foo the hook if you got caught on a branch.

I still do it though.

but still how are they allowed to use a man basket ?? when using the crane i have asked the opperator to stop the cranes hook from opening and they will do this . also crane drivers and crane companies are trained and taught and qualified to inspect the crane prior to use and after use .

i was lucky enough to have a go at opperating a crane only two weeks ago , i was amazed how much technology there is in a crane's cab !!