Putting the feelers out...

treefellapaul73

I am currently self employed and have 20 plus years of garden maintenance and soft landscaping experience within the domestic and commercial sector -fencing, hedge cutting, planting, and can use a saw.

I have PA1/PA6 CS10 CS11 CS14 CS16 CS381&2

CIS4(P) Card

Can drive >7.5 ton vehicle and tow a trailer/ chipper.

Has anyone here made the move to become employed? (PAYE)- Either by a Landcaping & Arb Company or a Local Authority/ Estate/ National Trust/ or similar organisation?

What would be the pros and cons? Salary?

-OR would anyone even consider employing someone like me?

I would quite happily make the transition if the right job came my way.

Any input would be welcome and thanks!

The National Trust like a lot of charities, rely on the goodwill of their non-office workers. The great majority of their staff is volunteer labour. Of the paid staff, (unless you work in an office) the pay is not great. But if you go to work for a charity, you're there, mostly because you like the work and the overall goals of that particular charity.

So if you're a pen-pusher, you can expect at least a living wage. If you're a hands on employee, expect the minimum-not much more pay-grade. Having said this, if your views are inline with the NT, it can be very rewarding; just not in financial terms.

The NT do not pay overtime, even if you work a Bank Holiday/s, (Their office staff don't work BHs and tend not to work weekends either.) However, if you do work a BH, you'll get time off in leu. If you work over the weekly maximum of 37.5hrs., you'll get time off in leu.

If you're an NT member when you take up employment. You have to suspend your membership, until you cease being employed with them. But as an employee, you'll get broadly the same benefits as a member.

Depending on your post, you may or may not be allocated tied accommodation - but you'll still have to pay rent on that property. Some NT posts state that you have to live within three miles of your post's base. In remote areas, this means you have to either live on-site or find a place within spitting distance. And in remote areas, this may mean living on a working farm or in the smallest place on the edge of the nearest hamlet.

It all depends on you, and the reasons for thinking about moving into an employee status. In general the pros are:

set working time

paid holiday entitlement

paid sick leave

(Possible pension)

input into ni

less stress over where the next job is

no paperwork/accounts etc

possibility of working with others

regular pay

Cons:

You have to report to someone else

You don't get a chance to decide how you do things

If you do well you wont always get all the rewards

I have seen people move both ways, the ones that don't make are the one that haven't planned it out in the first place. It sounds like you are weighing up both sides so what ever you choose, you will know it'll be right for you and how it will change your life.

As for experience or being self employed for so long. No it wont matter at all, most should see it as a positive. Clearly you have shown drive, experience, self motivation, dealing with clients to a professional level, a wide range of skills etc.

Depending on you own skills and experience would you be looking at the same role or working as a supervisor etc?

Thanks for all your replies and input- I realy appreciate all the comments.

Yes I guess I've been somewhat disheartened and badly let down of late. Usual business related guff I guess. But since doing some more research on tinterweb looking around and even applying for a few jobs I have come to realise Im better off moving forward on my own with the loyal subbies I have to call on for the bigger jobs that come my way, whilst farming out the tree work to friends and family that are in arb. Cheers guys.