Stihl 034

Tjwaines

Hi lads, this is my first post so go easy on me, haha.

Right, I've inherited this Stihl 034 from my father, he doesn't use it anymore and it's been lying around for years not doing anything. I've had it serviced and she runs really well, but as you can see it looks to have the original bar on and the chain looks knackered (to me anyway).

image1_zps8b4203ae.jpg

image1_zps007f2a87.jpg

I'll be using it for cutting fallen trees up in our woods on the farm to use in our log burner, my father will be showing me the ropes as he was a tree surgeon before giving it up 25 years ago when my grandfather retired from the farm - so I won't be a complete novice on my own in the woods. Will eventually graduate onto felling a few I should imagine.

My fathers got a newer Stihl that he uses but I'd like to use this older girl. So my questions are thus:

1) what variety of chain should I be using for fallen timber, it's mainly an Ash wood with a few other varieties in there too, I want as long a lasting edge as possible but I aren't shy at sharpening tools when they need it.

2) the saw is 1 year younger than me and father reckons he's never changed the bar, so it's 31 years old, should I replace this too? It's currently an 18" bar but some of the trees I'll be logging are probably 3' diameter, can I go upto a 22" on this machine?

3) any other tips or hints for tarting the old girl up would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Tom

Wouldn't hurt to renew the bar; 16" sprocket tip lovely on an 034 (I've had a few). Stick with Stihl bar. Over 18" will struggle imo.

Saw looks tidy so bar has been looked after? Just dress the rails as required otherwise.

Oregon 75LPX chain.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Check the clutch drum sprocket isn't worn, if there are grooves worn in the ends of the sprocket, fit a new one and make sure it is the correct pitch, probably 3/8" on this saw.

If it has a rim drive on it rather than a spur (gear type) sprocket, make sure the rim outer surface is not heavily worn!

This will stop the new chain getting stretched or damaged:thumbup:

I've got an early 036 with no decompress looks like the same saw. If you just want it to look nice paint the metal bits. Mine is on an 18" bar.

They pretty much are. The 034 super av uses the 036 topend even. Not that clued up but it was only minor things like the 036 had the adjustable oil pump but even the later 034's got that as standard.

The standard 034 tho had a smaller bore and slightly shorter stroke although crankcases etc are all the same etc.