Wanting to break free?

Skysthelimit

:confused1::confused1:Hi guys, don't know if this is the right place to post, but at the moment I'm employed by a large company for our area,which I've been with for the last 9years,but I'd like to start up by myself. But making that jump can be a massive risk for myself and family financially, if it doesn't work out!! I'm just a little unsure whether I can still be employed and self employed at the same time,just to see if it works out the way I'd like it to. Any advise would by much appreciated :001_smile:

:confused1::confused1:Hi guys, don't know if this is the right place to post, but at the moment I'm employed by a large company for our area,which I've been with for the last 9years,but I'd like to start up by myself. But making that jump can be a massive risk for myself and family financially, if it doesn't work out!! I'm just a little unsure whether I can still be employed and self employed at the same time,just to see if it works out the way I'd like it to. Any advise would by much appreciated :001_smile:

Be brave, go with what you think will work, you only have one crack at life, fortune favors the brave, i have never looked back on anything i have put thought into all things, and it looks like you have really considered everything. I can still remember my first nudge, i would of been happy to spend the rest of my life as a groundy , unskilled, for the rest of my life, working for Jason ,top man,he had to leave the country, and as i have family in the uk that meant i had to stay. i worked things out, like you are doing and never looked back, good luck. Should of said, i did then enroll at collage to gain confidence and ended up at university after six years, never looked back.

Yes you can be employed and self employed at the same time but you will need to do a tax return and include your p60 end of year tax letter, you may even get some tax back if you have to buy equipment!

If your going to do it then advertise now, get your name out there. Will the firm you work for now let you work for them as a freelance climber? Chances are they will, ask they can only say no

Legally there is no issue with you being employed by a company and carryout other work on a self employed basis. The only point I would raise is to check your contract with them! Most large companies will include a section of not working at the same time or declaring outside interests. It should be a big issue, but you don't want to end up on the wrong side or going down a disciplinary route! I would expect them to say that is fine, just not to use work equipment, that you would cease work if it impacts on your day to day work or ability to carryout work, and obviously not to take work from the company.

Good luck in making the leap though

Be open and honest with your employer. Start lining up work, get your kit orgainised if you can save up in the short term or have kit good to go, then you'll have it a lot easier than if you have large loan repayments. If you can get some freelance work lined up with your old employer, then you should be good.

Good luck, and never look back.

Be brave, go with what you think will work, you only have one crack at life, fortune favors the brave, i have never looked back on anything i have put thought into all things, and it looks like you have really considered everything. I can still remember my first nudge, i would of been happy to spend the rest of my life as a groundy , unskilled, for the rest of my life, working for Jason ,top man,he had to leave the country, and as i have family in the uk that meant i had to stay. i worked things out, like you are doing and never looked back, good luck. Should of said, i did then enroll at collage to gain confidence and ended up at university after six years, never looked back.

:thumbup1: brilliant post Jesse.

I used to work with jesse, then when his business structure changed I got the nudge off him go it alone. Best thing I did! I've got in with a local company who I climb for on any spare days. So with what I do for myself and with them I always have plenty of work. Go for it, its great being your own boss! Oh and jesse is still a good friend :thumbup:

Edited by Tree Man Tom

I think some employers wouldn't mind others will, and this will be partly influenced by the size of the company and their field of arb.

A large utility probably wont mind you doing private domestic jobs on the weekend as long as your not using their kit, ppe etc as - as long as it does not effect your day job you aren't taking work away from them.

I would assume that many companies like this know some of their staff will be doing this sort of thing and choose to ignore it.

for smaller companies it would probably go down a little differently and if you were effectively starting up in competition I think many would cut you loose and allow you to break free sooner rather than later.

From a legal stand point, as other have said - you'd have to declare everything, but this would be simples - maybe take some advice from an accountant rather than us lot to be safe.

On another note making a business work requires a lot of commitment - your either in or out - I think it'd be a struggle trying to hold down two jobs when one is a business.