Does being a good climber mean he's a good tree worker??

john@arbtech

Good tree workers?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Good tree workers?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Question!!

in my opinion tree works all about knowing what to cut off and why youre cutting it off and i'd rather have a worker who knows that, and can justify each cut, than one who can just climb quickly!

being a good climber is definatly a plus, but i reckon you need more than just that to be a goood tree worker. no one will hire you to just climb trees, they hire you to climb the tree, do the job and leave the tree healthy and looking good and you need more than climbing knowledge to do that!

...and thats why i voted no,

like i said tho, just my opinion!

(PS hope that all made sense, one of those situations when you know wat you want to say, but not how to say it!)

once you can do all tree work specifications to a high standard a good climber should be able to find the balance between a busy climber and busy groundies so that all on sight are working to a similar effort level ,when eg dismantling there is little point in dropping everything into stacks in chippable size branches if there are four groundsman on site with the chipper close.....if however there is a 100m drag for the then this would be good treework.

on a reduction a quick climber should have more time to evaluate work and cut positioning and therefore produce better treework than a slow climber working to the same time frame.

i find these questions so wide open, a good tree climber has nothing to do with keeping groundies happy, a good tree climber is what he or she is. an all round good climbing, team player keeps everyone happy. if a good climber uses every piece of kit in justins catalogue, then so be it. if they work with the basics but get the same result then thats just as good.