DIY Log Splitter?

S7ewie

Hey folks,

A friend of mine recently had an idea to build his own log splitter partly because he does a lot of lot splitting and partly because we need a project :001_tongue: We're both in farming and have a fair bit of experience in metalwork etc. We have all the tools, but need advice on the parts.

He wants to hook it up to his 13 horsepower lawnmower engine. I've seen a lot of figures floating around in my search and was wondering if anyone could help calculate the best size hydraulic cylinder and pump for us to use with that engine?

Also any other tips and advice would be appreciated.

Hey folks,

A friend of mine recently had an idea to build his own log splitter partly because he does a lot of lot splitting and partly because we need a project :001_tongue: We're both in farming and have a fair bit of experience in metalwork etc. We have all the tools, but need advice on the parts.

He wants to hook it up to his 13 horsepower lawnmower engine. I've seen a lot of figures floating around in my search and was wondering if anyone could help calculate the best size hydraulic cylinder and pump for us to use with that engine?

Would that be a petrol engine????

Yuk nasty, no such thing as red petrol:lol:

Hey folks,

I built my own using a big ram and rsj, I power it with a jcb beaver pack for small stuff, it's good cause it has a on load sensor so when it loads the pump up it puts the revs up. I use tractor for bigger bits. When I built it I did a lot of research not only on flow and pressurebut in to the shape of the splitting knife.

I started with a srraight knife but it was rubbish and I was really dissapointed, next I angled it and it was better but kept jamming wood against rsj, finally ended up with a shallow curve, and I'm really pleased with it,

Try googling flow fit as they have kits with pumps engines pipes and Rams in all matched up ready to go, even if it's not what you need you should be able to use their figures as a guide

Cheers

I built my own using a big ram and rsj, I power it with a jcb beaver pack for small stuff, it's good cause it has a on load sensor so when it loads the pump up it puts the revs up. I use tractor for bigger bits. When I built it I did a lot of research not only on flow and pressurebut in to the shape of the splitting knife.

I started with a srraight knife but it was rubbish and I was really dissapointed, next I angled it and it was better but kept jamming wood against rsj, finally ended up with a shallow curve, and I'm really pleased with it,

Try googling flow fit as they have kits with pumps engines pipes and Rams in all matched up ready to go, even if it's not what you need you should be able to use their figures as a guide

Cheers

Hi mate there's one on Arb talk thanks Jon

Hey folks,

Of those 13 horses I reckon you don't want to use more than about 10 of them or you are going to kill the engine, so that would give you about 25 litres per min @ 210bar, with a cylinder of about 80mm bore and 500mm long it should stroke out in about 6secs and give about 10.5 tons force.

There are plenty of hyd. calculators online I have used

Hydraulic Calculations | Hydraulics Online

and

Hydraulic Cylinder Calculator Online

And for pumps and valves etc if you are buying new then I think Flowfit are hard to beat.

Flowfit the leading worldwide suppliers of hydraulic components

I am looking at buying or making one myself at the moment so have been looking at loads of different designs and can't decide whether to make it horizontal or vertical.

Im building one at the mo using a 13hp petrol engine.

After much research im using a 16 gpm 2 stage pump and 80mm cylinder, which should equate to a reasonable power/speed splitter.

16gals = 72litres thats going to stroke in about 2 secs, watch your fingers!

What pressure/flow does the HP pump do?