ivy removal on listed building

simonm

Our place is listed & I can't say re the ivy but within reason, any maintenance is ok without 'permission'. You'd hope that removal of ivy could only be a good thing for the buildings integrity in order to extend its life.

Thats my thinking, i assume any damage caused would have to be fixed appropriately.

I removed some from a listed building ended up the customer needed the roof taking off new gutters etc we had to cut just under gutter as ivy had wrapped around the gutter into the roof and around slates seven high conservation officer was happy for removal big bill for customer

No need to notify listed buildings.

Listing relates to the fabric of the buildings on the listed site (any permanent building, including modern sheds!). It doesn't relate to plants growing on or near the building.

Of course you could notify them anyway, which might save any questions about what was done to the fabric at the time, but no legal requirement.

Alec

p.s. Renewablejohn - our listed buildings officer is called Natalie....

agg221 I think my listed buildings officer was called pratt. If it was left upto her I would be installing single pane glass into oak frames rather than 3G glass direct into stone mullions. Fortunately I had one original leaded window in stone mullion and with the assistance of English Heritage managed to get the 3G approved.

agg21 I think my listed buildings officer was called pratt. If it was left upto her I would be installing single pane glass into oak frames rather than 3G glass direct into stone mullions. Fortunately I had one original leaded window in stone mullion and with the assistance of English Heritage managed to get the 3G approved.

I stood on the lawn at the back of our house, with ours and our architect, discussing our planned extension. Her comment on the design was 'well it's OK, but why have you hipped the roof?' - answer, because your predecessor told us to, but we don't like it. She said we were right, and put it back to a gable end. She then asked if we would mind making it bigger. We asked how much and she said she thought it would look much better if we doubled it. We were happy to oblige!

Oh, and we are installing 2G slimline panes, with proper hand-blown cylinder glass outer panes and inner Low-E to get the performance up. No questions asked, although we were the first in the district to get permission (she had just taken over).

Alec